Stout mash temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acefaser

Reaction score
I was looking at brewing my first stout this week and I find most mash at 156-158. Is there a reason for mashing at such high temps? Looking at brewing the Ó Flannagáin Standard
Should be a good winter brew!
Thanks for the help.

Higher mash temps produce longer chain dextrins that yeast can't consume, which will give the finished beer a fuller mouthfeel. I'm not sure about mashing at 158 though, it'll be a thick beer. 153-154 degrees is a great mash temp (from my experience) for a fuller mouthfeel without being too heavy. If you want a more "chewy" or "viscous" mouthfeel and haven't decided upon a recipe, try adding a pound of flaked oats or flaked barley to the mash and increase the mash to 90 minutes (154F)...you can thank me later.

OMFG, a high mash temp will NOT cause a 1.046 stout to be unpleasant. Without dextrins, it would be excessively dry and harsh.

Lagunitas IPA is mashed at 160°F, and its OG is around 1.060. Is that beer too thick?

Just noticed the recipe link, suggested mash temp of 156-157. The flaked barley and Carapils malts will contribute to the mouthfeel.

Brew it according to the recipe and tweak it the second time around if you want to change it.

p.s. 944play...calm down. The question was "why" mash higher? Which would suggest that he was looking to understand the reason behind it.

Higher mash temps produce longer chain dextrins that yeast can't consume, which will give the finished beer a fuller mouthfeel. I'm not sure about mashing at 158 though, it'll be a thick beer. 153-154 degrees is a great mash temp (from my experience) for a fuller mouthfeel without being too heavy. If you want a more "chewy" or "viscous" mouthfeel and haven't decided upon a recipe, try adding a pound of flaked oats or flaked barley to the mash and increase the mash to 90 minutes (154F)...you can thank me later.

Yes the recipe has 1lb of flaked barley and this recipe looks to be a good one. 154F appears to be the planned mash temp so far. I just didn't know if the flaked barley or other ingredients needed a higher mash temp for some reason. I was reading up on Palmers mash temp chapter and he suggests 150-155 as a standard temp.
Just wanted to get some others opinions and find out if mashing a Stout was that much different than an IPA.

Yes, mashing a stout is a lot different than mashing an IPA. I mash my oatmeal stout at 156, since I want a rich full body. I've mashed some IIPAs as low as 147 for a super thin body and crisp finish. Most other American ales I mash at 153 or so.

Mash temperature is just one more "ingredient" in the recipe of a beer. I have a tendency for all of my beers to fully attenuate, so I usually mash a bit higher than some other brewers do.

Right, I didn't explain myself.

Dextrins are especially nice in beers with lots of roasted grains. They soften and balance out the astringency.

Grainbill, mash temp, adjuncts (esp. maltodextrin), gravity, and fermentation are variables to adjust to set dextrin levels in beer. Single infusion mashes can take place anywhere from 147-160°F, so when you want to turn that variable up, it's perfectly acceptable to set it to 9/10ths.

The Porter I just brewed, from an AHS recipe, has the mash temp, fermentation, and adjunct dials turned all the way up to compensate for the low gravity and grainbill settings. For balance.

goodgodilovebeer - didn't see your post because I was posting at the same time.
Thanks for all the advice guys. That explains why the higher mash temps for the stout. I plan on upping the mash temp to 156F and see how that goes.

goodgodilovebeer - didn't see your post because I was posting at the same time.
Thanks for all the advice guys. That explains why the higher mash temps for the stout. I plan on upping the mash temp to 156F and see how that goes.

The recipe you linked has both 10% of flaked barley and 10% dextrin malt. I would again suggest 151-152F for a mash temp as the grist bill already has 20% of "body building" ingredients. With just either one and mashing at the lower temp the beer will have plenty of body & mouthfeel.

the recipe you linked has both 10% of flaked barley and 10% dextrin malt. I would again suggest 151-152f for a mash temp as the grist bill already has 20% of "body building" ingredients. With just either one and mashing at the lower temp the beer will have plenty of body & mouthfeel.

+1

This is why I wouldn't personally mash in the higher 150's. I usually put between 5% and 10% Carapils in most of my ales and mash somewhere in the 152-154 range and it fills them out nicely.

That being said, when trying another brewer's recipe I always follow their instructions unless there's something in the process or recipe that I know from my experience could be improved upon. The whole point of brewing their beer is to recreate the exact same beer based on their review.

I wonder how carbonated the original was? Because if it's carbonated to 2.5+ volumes, it'll be more deceiving in terms of viscosity. Anyone else have a keg that has a slow leak and notice how a beer goes from perfectly balanced to thick and heavy as carbonation comes out of solution over a period of time?

Good point goodgodilovebeer and BigEd.
Now I'm really confused...:drunk:

Sounds like the Carapils adds body so you can use a lower mash temp to achieve the same affect.

LOL...Just to throw another variable at you; the higher mash temperature would create longer chain sugars that will add some sweetness that may be just enough to balance the roasted grains. Notice how there isn't any crystal in the recipe whatsoever?

Latest posts

Back