Stout faucet issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PtotheL

Reaction score
Alright... So I built this awesome Keezer...

keezer.jpg

As you may notice, I have a stout faucet in the middle. I do not have a nitrogen tank though.

I read that you can still use it by removing the restriction disc, which I did, and it dispensed ale without any problems.

Fast forward a couple of months... Now I also read somewhere that you could dispense a beer through a stout faucet and still have the thick creamy head of a nitro beer without nitrogen by simply turning up the PSI on your Co2 regulator before dispensing. (Turning it back down and relieving the keg's pressure afterward).

So I place back the o-ring and restriction disc in the faucet...

To my disarray, it just does not work. I tried it at different PSI and no matter what, it will start dispensing properly but then starts hissing and only dispensing foam.

I double checked my tap and found everything to be in order.

Then I went online and found this schematic:

19.gif

The only thing I can think of is that I only had one o-ring between the restriction disc and the bulk of the faucet instead of the two o-rings shown in the diagram. (Part 14).

- Could this be the issue ?

- Can one of you gentlemen check if you have one or two o-rings in your stout faucet ?

- Is the described technique to up the Co2 PSI supposed to work at all ?

My NADS has two. One above the threads where the nozzle fits and one that wedges inside the nozzle above the flow straightener and the disc.

Thus, one ring is larger than the other (or, at least, is stretched to fit the nozzle shaft.)

As for my pour, I get the cascading head with higher psi and a really long beer line. S'thing like 15 or more feet coiled up around the keg inside and no restrictor disc. Took a while to get the beer right tho'. Like 3 or 4 weeks at 48*F and I forget the PSI.

My NADS has two. One above the threads where the nozzle fits and one that wedges inside the nozzle above the flow straightener and the disc.

Thus, one ring is larger than the other (or, at least, is stretched to fit the nozzle shaft.)

Alright... I thought that both of the rings where inside. I will have to check when I get home if I have the upper o-ring...

I actually fear that I have it and just did not notice... Having a missing o-ring would have been an easy explanation of the problems I have with the faucet.

Concerning your pour... no restrictor disc ? I though it was the Co2 being knocked out of solution that caused the creamy head.

Mine does so for the first 2 seconds of the pour, then *bam* a glassfull of foam.

weird.

Just have to adjust and wait, adjust and wait, til you get it where you want and then the keg floats. But, it'll be set for the next one.

is the beer overcarbonated?
I think the restrictor plate and high pressure work because the fluid going through is at a low carbonation.
Try it on a flat or nearly-flat keg next time you keg up a homebrew. Take the flat keg, hook up your CO2 line, crank the pressure to 32psi, and run a pint out through the restrictor plate (maybe chill the keg before any of this, but NOT with CO2 connected).

If it's more like a guiness looking pour, and less like a cup of foam, then it's the over-carbonation (guiness has very low carbonation).

is the beer overcarbonated?
I think the restrictor plate and high pressure work because the fluid going through is at a low carbonation.
Try it on a flat or nearly-flat keg next time you keg up a homebrew. Take the flat keg, hook up your CO2 line, crank the pressure to 32psi, and run a pint out through the restrictor plate (maybe chill the keg before any of this, but NOT with CO2 connected).

If it's more like a guiness looking pour, and less like a cup of foam, then it's the over-carbonation (guiness has very low carbonation).

Yeah... I'm kegging a batch in 2 weeks and that's exactly what I was planning to do. I'll carb one up at 2.5 volume and the other at something very low like 1.5 volume and see what happens.

Over carbonation would explain why the first part of the first pull of the day was ok... the beer that stayed in my 15' of line probably had lost enough carbonation to pour smoothly.

AAAHHHH!!!!! I threw away part #16 because I thought it was just to keep it clean during shipping. WTF is wrong with me I'm so stupid! Son of a b!tch. Any ideas?

AAAHHHH!!!!! I threw away part #16 because I thought it was just to keep it clean during shipping. WTF is wrong with me I'm so stupid! Son of a b!tch. Any ideas?

Well, you do have that parts diagram. See if you can find a parts list that matches is, then order the missing part?

Cheers - and good luck!

Back