Stout Brewers and Lovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
can someone give me some critique of my tentative Imperial Stout Recipe? i have two main concerns with it. 1) Is using Soriachi Ace hops in a Stout a good idea? 2) is 1 lb. of roasted barley too much roasty-ness? thanks!

Here is the recipe:
10.0 lb Pale Ale (DE) Mash
2.0 lb Victory (US) Mash
2.0 lb Pale Ale (BE) Mash
1.0 lb Chocolate (US) Mash
1.0 lb Roasted Barley (US) Mash
0.5 lb Flaked Oats Mash
Hops
Amount Hop Time
0.5 oz Sorachi Ace (JP) 60 min
0.5 oz Warrior (US) 60 min
0.75 oz Sorachi Ace (JP) 15 min
Yeasts
Name Lab/Product
California Ale Yeast White Labs WLP001
Extras
Amount Name Time
16.0 floz Coffee (Brewed) 5.0 days
2.5 tbs Vanilla Extract 5.0 days

Looks good, my only real criticism is that 16.5 lb may not be quite enough grains for a 5 gallon batch. But otherwise, the proportions look good -- never used victory malt in a stout but there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Late hop additions are a bit out of style, so I would recommend pushing the second Sorachi addition a bit sooner, like 45 minutes. Don't be afraid of the extra IBUs, there is plenty of residual sugars to compensate for it.

Thanks. Upon recommendation from my LHBS proprietor, I will be adding 2lbs. of honey... 1lb. in the boil, 1 in the primary. So there will be 18.5 lbs of fermentables. Brewtoad calculates the final product at 9.4% abv.

I'd rather use amber or brown malt than victory. You could up the roast barley but maybe that pound of chocolate malt is just enough. How many IBU are you estimating? I'd go for 80+.

I'm looking for IBUs in the 45-50 range. Enough to balance the high abv, but not out of balance with the malt.

I'm looking for IBUs in the 45-50 range. Enough to balance the high abv, but not out of balance with the malt.

Once you get into imperial stout territory the BU/GU chart gets thrown out of the window. Old Raspie is 75 IBU and tastes nothing like it -- whereas a bittering ratio of 0.8 might taste like a forest at lower gravities, it's actually quite balanced around 1.090. Another consideration is that hop bitterness will fade with extended aging, so you might want a little more oomph behind it.

My RIS is projected to be well over 100 IBU and I don't mind. IBU is a rather arbitrary metric that doesn't really connote the perception of bitterness.

My last one almost right side up. Mods pls delete the other post. I should have asked for the recipe back in 1982 when I picked this up. They were discontinuing the production and most likely would have had no problem. I have never found anything that came too close. It has been at least 15 years since my last taste. Ok I give up with the orientation.

image.jpg

Anyhowe: They picked up the recipe from the Barclay's original. You should be able to find it in SUABP.

Back