Stout Bottling / Nitrogen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuggy

Reaction score
I just got done brewing a milk stout... Much in like a Left handed Milk Stout, but I modified the recipe. I want the beer to be thick and creamy, but I'm concerned about the co2/nitrogen concentration.

I know that guinness uses nitrogen on tap, and also uses a nitrogen ball in their bottles.

What will the difference be? I would really like to get my hands on some of those nitrogen bottles, but after googling I can't find anything. I don't have a tap set-up yet, I'm bottle exclusive currently. Can you reuse guinness bottles?

Any tips or suggestions?

From what I understand the "ball" inside guinness cans and bottles are forced with beer through the pressure of a drop of liquid nitrogen. I'm assuming that I may have hit a dead end?

i was always under the impression that the ball in the guiness bottles was charged with nitrogen. and when you pop the top off the bottle, it triggers the nitrogen to be released into the beer.

Latest posts

Back