Storing Yeast Cake or Slurry in a Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br1dge

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am stepping up my batch size and am considering different ways to keep my costs down. Instead of buying new yeast each time and stepping them up to what I need Im thinking about taking my yeast cake from a finished batch and putting the slurry into a sanitized Keg for storing until my next batch. Then I would either make a starter from left over yeast or pitch directly into my new batch. Ideally I will have my timing down to where Im just pitching on a yeast cake but I was wondering if I dont time it right would I be able to put the slurry in a Corny Keg that is sanitized and use this yeast later?

I am pretty certain I read somewhere of people doing this but wanted to check in and get some details from anyone who might be doing this. If you use this method do you shoot the keg with CO2 or just allow it to sit unpressurized? Im thinking if it is a completely sanitary environment there shouldnt be any issue with it and even if it was exposed to a small amount of oxygen I dont think it would affect the yeast?

Let me know if you are using this technique or if you see any issues with it. Thanks!! :mug:

Back