Storing wort in growler until ready to step up yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webtoe

Reaction score
Newbie question about yeast starter. Ive got a good starter going right now and want to ramp it up by decanting and adding new wort to the yeast cake when the time comes. But i won't have time to do the boil-icebath-cool when it comes time to step things up. Can I just boil up a batch of wort and store it in a sanitized sealed growler until the starter is ready for stepping up? Or am I playing with fire and just asking for an infection?

Yep. Shouldn't be an issue. If you add a couple hop pellets and refrigerate the wort it will help keep unwanted critters at bay. I've done this for years with no resulting infections.

Some people even pressure can wort for future use. While inexpensive, I consider that a bit more labor intensive than what's necessary.

IMO, if you are very sanitary there is not much risk. Adding a couple of hop pellets will help as will the refrigeration. But when it comes time to use it, if anything at all seems off, do not use it.

Twice a year I pressure can wort in 1/2 gallon mason jars which is just a bit shy of (6) 2L starters. I only use these for step starters otherwise I heat my water in a 1.5L hot pot mix with DME, cool and add yeast.

Back