Storing wort for yeast starters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chimind

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? I was just thinking about how convenient it would be if I made a batch of wort, say enough for 15 yeast starters, sealed it in 15 jars, and sterilized it, as you would for preserving anything else in a jar. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? It would be really convenient if I could just pull a jar out of the fridge, pitch yeast and switch out the jar top for one with an airlock, versus having to make a little batch of wort every time I make a yeast starter (more and more often it seems). First post btw.:ban:

If I'm making a low gravity beer, I usually try to make a couple of gallons more than my normal batch size. I simply freeze the extra wort in freezer bags (ziploc). For a starter I pull out the frozen wort, and boil in a pot like I always do. Some on here 'can' their wort with pressure cookers. I guess the key is to find a way to keep the wort germ free. So I freeze/boil mine since canning seems like a pita. Oh, and welcome to the site.

I do something similar. When I make a higher gravity brew I run a couple extra qts of sparge water through, then freeze it and boil when needed. Almost like a partigyle.

+1 Same here I just reduce down some second running till I get a S.G. of 1.080. Then I just put in empty sports drink bottles and freeze them up. So when I need a to make a starter I just take it out of the freezer and reduce with the same amount of water and boil it up. Easy as that.

Those are all great ways to make yeast starters easier. Another is the approach I've recently started using, which is to pressure can the wort, which will let you store it any old place without taking up freezer space, and also allow you to skip the re-boil.

I don't find the pressure cooking necessary. I just boil up a gallon of 1.040 wort, put it in quart Masson jars while it's still relatively hot (150* or so ) seal em up...put em in the fridge.... The temp change draws the lids down and your good to go.. I've used them up to 2 months later and they are fine. Then I just take one out..let it warm up to about 60*.. Pour it into my starter jar... Pitch the yeast.. And throw it on the stir plate.

Back