Storing wort for future fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed a light gravity beer yesterday (1.035) and during the boil I remembered that I didn't take my yeast (WLP029 Kolsh) out of the fridge. So I ran in grabbed it and set it on my brew stand near my kettle to help warm it up prior to pitching. Problem is I forgot about it for a half hour. When I realized I left it there I picked it up and there were 2 bubbles forming in the plastic vial (I know really dumb a** mistake). I set the vial in a cool spot and called my LHBS. Store owner said he would leave a vial between the door before he left for the day and told me to "see what happens".

So I pitched ( what I now believe is dead) yeast. Cleaned up and ran off to pick up the new yeast. Problem is he forgot to leave the yeast where I could get it without breaking into his store. It has been 15+ hours since pitching and no signs ( did not take any readings) of fermentation. LHBS will not open till Tuesday.

Is there anything I can do to protect the wort until then? It is currently in a plastic fermenter at 72*F in my fermentation chamber. I did add some yeast nutrient and aerated the wort before pitching.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Cheers
Kev

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

How warm did the vial feel when you picked it up? If it did not feel warmer than body temperature the yeast is probably okay. With WL vials it is common for pressure to form and spew the yeast on opening after being warmed. Pitching the yeast while still cool is not a bad practice.
Fifteen hours is within normal lag time after pitching. Forty-eight hours would be a concern.

As long as the wort is sealed in the primary then it can sit for days and be safe. Keep an eye on your starter for several more hours and see what happens... No worries, mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How warm did the vial feel when you picked it up? If it did not feel warmer than body temperature the yeast is probably okay. With WL vials it is common for pressure to form and spew the yeast on opening after being warmed. Pitching the yeast while still cool is not a bad practice.
Fifteen hours is within normal lag time after pitching. Forty-eight hours would be a concern.

Hi,

Not sure exactly how warm the vial got. Hot enough for the plastic to turn white and begin to form 2 bubbles in it. It was about 4" away from my Keggle for about a half hour. The burner's output is 210,000 btu.
Thank you

Hi,

Not sure exactly how warm the vial got. Hot enough for the plastic to turn white and begin to form 2 bubbles in it. It was about 4" away from my Keggle for about a half hour. The burner's output is 210,000 btu.
Thank you

I misunderstood. I took it as bubbles in the vial or lid. The yeast may have gotten to warm to survive. Don't give up hope though. There may have been a few viable yeast cells that are using your wort as a large starter. Lag time will be long. Pitch the new yeast as soon as you can.

I misunderstood. I took it as bubbles in the vial or lid. The yeast may have gotten to warm to survive. Don't give up hope though. There may have been a few viable yeast cells that are using your wort as a large starter. Lag time will be long. Pitch the new yeast as soon as you can.

Hi,

That is my concern. I am afraid that something else might take up residency while the few surviving yeast cells populate the wort. Or until i can get fresh yeast to do the same. Should I put some gas in the fermenter head space like nitrogen or carbon dioxide?
Thank you
Cheers
Kev

Hi,

That is my concern. I am afraid that something else might take up residency while the few surviving yeast cells populate the wort. Or until i can get fresh yeast to do the same. Should I put some gas in the fermenter head space like nitrogen or carbon dioxide?
Thank you
Cheers
Kev

Purging the headspace with CO2 would be good insurance. Use good sanitation while you do this to not add some infected solid.

Thanks again and again. Will do this in a bit. Will reply to this thread again to let you know (and anyone else who is interested) how this works out. There is the obvious lesson and the not so obvious work around.
Cheers
Kev

Hi All,

Well I couldn't stomach the wait and see approach any longer. I found a HBS bout an hour away. They unfortunately did not have White Labs, they did however have Wyeast Kolsh yeast. Started warming that bad boy up on the ride home. It was ready by 5 this evening. Now I have the other waiting game. This time it should work out in my favor. Will post back after primary is done.
Cheers
Kev

Hi All,

Just a quick update. I racked the beer into secondary yesterday and there are no signs of infection. Though Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast is very cloudy with a powdery mouth feel. I hope this clears well.
Cheers
Kev

Back