Storing Starsan in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psymn

Reaction score
Anyone know of a reason this would be bad?

I see the benefit of emptying the starsan and siphonoing beer into the keg, but i'm not sure if the low pH will harm the o-rings or steel.

Matt

The o-rings should be fine and while I sort of remember something about star-san and stainless, I myself either have beer or star-san in my kegs nearly all the time and I've never noticed any problems.

Baron von BeeGee said:
The o-rings should be fine and while I sort of remember something about star-san and stainless, I myself either have beer or star-san in my kegs nearly all the time and I've never noticed any problems.

No reason to store kegs with StarSan in them. Just clean them, let them air dry, and store upside-down. When you're ready to keg, give them a good rinse and then sanitize with StarSan. There's a potential for etching or pitting problems with stainless steel. This topic was discused in an earlier post.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=8383&highlight=starsan+stainless

Someone recommended using TSP to clean my keggle. Worked like a charm. I scrubbed the daylights out of it then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed then I followed up with some Star-San just to make sure...even though it's a boiling pot...

Exo said:
Someone recommended using TSP to clean my keggle. Worked like a charm. I scrubbed the daylights out of it then rinsed and rinsed and rinsed then I followed up with some Star-San just to make sure...even though it's a boiling pot...

Lots of elbow grease usually makes for a good beer.

Back