Storing soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westo2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For the 4th of July - I went ahead and built myself a 2 tap pseudo-jockey box for soda. I also made 5 gallons each of cream soda and root beer, force carbing and serving out of kegs.

About 2 gallons of each were consumed, and I was planning to take the rest to a camping trip at the end of the month. I'm wondering how to keep this stable in the kegs at basement temperatures (low 70s at this time of year).

Although I sanitized everything well, my brewing experience tells me that this sugary deliciousness is merely ticking away time before something sets in and makes a meal of it.

My thought is to treat it somewhat like an unpasteurized cider and simply throw some sulfite at it and let it ride. Anybody gone this route before? Would sulfite do the trick?

As there isn't any yeast there, I don't think there is any need to toss in sorbate. I've got to head out of town tomorrow AM for the week - so I'd like to treat this before hitting the road..

Sanitization in my opinion isn't as important with soda as hot filling kegs and keeping them pressurized with CO2 while cooling. Otherwise if the seal is good they will generate negative pressure, which while not bad, I find that corny keg main seals aren't usually as strong that direction.

I've tried potassium metabisulfite, and while it probably did something, I really didn't have a way to check.

My current hot-fill method so far hasn't got me a spoiled keg. But I do generally get them into the keezer after a maximum of a week or so. I have had a batch ferment slightly with wild yeast before I started hot filling, so I wouldn't put that out of possibility just because you didn't add yeast.

Back