Storing primary next to water heater...safe??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Soooo...I just recently moved into a new place with my 2 year old kitty, and this kitty is ridiculously curious about my brew equipment. The only thing about my new place is that there is literally one spot that she can't get into, and that's a closet/storage room/water heater area where I currently keep my brew gear.

Before I start brewing again, I'm wondering for safety's sake if it's safe to keep my primary next to my water heater when it's fermenting? It would sit about 3-4' away from the heater, and I'm just concerned about CO2 buildup around the pilot light on the heater...:mug:

Soooo...I just recently moved into a new place with my 2 year old kitty, and this kitty is ridiculously curious about my brew equipment. The only thing about my new place is that there is literally one spot that she can't get into, and that's a closet/storage room/water heater area where I currently keep my brew gear.

Before I start brewing again, I'm wondering for safety's sake if it's safe to keep my primary next to my water heater when it's fermenting? It would sit about 3-4' away from the heater, and I'm just concerned about CO2 buildup around the pilot light on the heater...:mug:

I don't think the CO2 production will be enough to snuff out the pilot light. If the air was that stagnant and restricted in the closet, the burner likely wouldn't be able to function as it is. I think you will be fine.

How big is the space?

And how old is the heater?

CO2 is not flammable, if that's the concern, and I'd be surprised if it built up enough for the flame to no longer burn. If the flame does go out, modern burners with pilot lights are generally designed to shut off the gas flow in a failsafe fashion if no pilot flame is detected after a (short) period of time. (I think it's legally required, frickin' should be, but I've been surprised before re: common sense stuff like this). How you'd confirm that would depend on whether you rent or own...

I too would suspect that you might have a problem fermenting next to the heater due to having too high a temperature. I ferment most ales in the mid sixties (wort temperature, not air temperature).

As to the co2 interfering with the heater, I doubt it. Unless the room is tightly sealed the co2 would not build up enough.

Back