Storing my homebrew outside my keezer for a couple weeks - questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrousbird

Reaction score
So, my father suckered me into hosting for a surprise retirement party for my step mom. 50 people and I'm sure they want to hit up my 6-tap Keezer.

BUT I don't want to share my good stuff with a bunch of people that think Yuengling is an exotic beer.

The only times my kegs have ever came out of the Keezer is when they are empty. I force carb in there directly after fermentation (or straight from the store to the Keezer if a commercial keg). What can I do to safely remove them, store for a week or two, and put them back in without having a skunky beer situation.

Refrigeration would be optimal, but skunk comes from exposure to light, so you needn't worry about that. You could always just pull the hoses and throw cups over the taps.

So, my father suckered me into hosting for a surprise retirement party for my step mom. 50 people and I'm sure they want to hit up my 6-tap Keezer.

BUT I don't want to share my good stuff with a bunch of people that think Yuengling is an exotic beer.

The only times my kegs have ever came out of the Keezer is when they are empty. I force carb in there directly after fermentation (or straight from the store to the Keezer if a commercial keg). What can I do to safely remove them, store for a week or two, and put them back in without having a skunky beer situation.

You don't have to do anything special at all. Just unplug them, take them out and store them in a cool place until you're ready to hook them back up. When you hook them back up, give the connections a quick spray with star-san (or your choice of sanitizer) and reconnect them. The connections may drip a few drops of beer, clean that up so you don't get any mold.

Cheers!

I always force carb outside of the fridge, and sometimes they are there a couple weeks before needed. When I'm brewing for a party they almost always never see a fridge until after it if any is left (jockey box gets beer cold). I wouldn't worry one bit. Wiping the posts off and spraying with starsan before reconnection would be a good practice too.

what's the difference between disconnecting them and taking them out and disconnecting and leaving them in? If they won't pour your beer is safe . . . who's going to lift the top of your keezer?

^agree with "always share" however, there is always an extenuating circumstance

Back