Storing botte conditioned bombers horizontal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
would that be a bad idea? i can put them in so many more places in my fridge if i could lay them horizontal

Wouldn't that settle the yeast on the side of the bottle, making it easier to get sediment/trub into the drinking glass?

my question is

why do some commercial unfiltered wheat beers recommend swirling the bottle to mix up the sediment while pouring, and homebrewers avoid bottling sediment like the plague?

my question is

why do some commercial unfiltered wheat beers recommend swirling the bottle to mix up the sediment while pouring, and homebrewers avoid bottling sediment like the plague?

Some styles like hefe weizen feature the yeast flavor so you want that in your glass.

The main problem I see is that when you tip the bottles up to pop the caps, you're going to stir the yeast up some, then you're going to stir it up some more when you tilt to pour.

Also, I'm confused. In the 'footprint' that 1 22oz bomber would take up on its side, I think I could have 4 standing up.

Or are your racks in your fridge too short for the 22oz bottles to stand up, so your other choice is to put them in the doors? If so, I'd try adjusting the racks or even just chucking one.

I can't imagine laying them on their sides, then stacking them, would work out that well. As soon as I took 1 bottle out of the bottom layer, all the others would start rolling about...

Are they already conditioned, then just put in the fridge sideways, or conditioned on their side?

Either way, yes you can, and it would increase the chances of getting yeast in the glass. But there's yeast in the beer anyway, and it's high in vitamin B, so go ahead :)

Just pour it carefully, like usual, and most should stay in the bottle. If you get chunks in the glass, just leave the dregs in the bottom.

if you don't mind a little sediment than go for it, it wont kill you :) I age some bombers on their side in my beer closet than about a week before drinky time I throw em in the fridge.

IMG_1410.jpg

my beer closet than about a week before drinky time I throw em in the fridge.

IMG_1410.jpg

:off:

OK That beer closet make me jealous! /em Runs off to the brew shop for bulk ingredients! Must brew more! :evil grin:

Rockin closet man! :rockin:

if you don't mind a little sediment than go for it, it wont kill you :) I age some bombers on their side in my beer closet than about a week before drinky time I throw em in the fridge.

IMG_1410.jpg

I...I...think this is awesome. How many cases of beer is that? 20?

would that be a bad idea? i can put them in so many more places in my fridge if i could lay them horizontal

Wouldn't putting them in the fridge negate the whole conditioning process? From what I understand about conditioning, you'll need to store these bottles in a place with a temperature that allows the yeast to do their work finishing up the beer.

If you store them in the fridge, the yeast will just go dormant.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

hokay, so...i have a wine fridge that currently holds precisely zero wine bottles. The racks would hold my 22oz bottles with a high degree of awesomenicity. Once conditioned for 3 weeks, would it then be ok to put them in the fridge on their sides? It will hold more bottles on the racks than if i took them out to stand the bottles up.

Wouldn't putting them in the fridge negate the whole conditioning process? From what I understand about conditioning, you'll need to store these bottles in a place with a temperature that allows the yeast to do their work finishing up the beer.

If you store them in the fridge, the yeast will just go dormant.

Correct me if I'm wrong here.

You are correct, but I believe the OP is talking about putting them in the fridge AFTER they have finished conditioning/carbing

IMG_1410.jpg

I assume when you put them in the fridge for a week, you put them in upright, and yeast settles at the bottom?

Perhaps the OP could adopt such a policy: put them in the fridge, but leave a spot for a few bottles standing upright, and just move a new one to the upright position every time you take a bottle out...

Rockin closet man! :rockin:

I...I...think this is awesome. How many cases of beer is that? 20?

thanks. it was about 20 cases, gotta get brewin some more - damn work keeps getting in the way :D

hokay, so...i have a wine fridge that currently holds precisely zero wine bottles. The racks would hold my 22oz bottles with a high degree of awesomenicity. Once conditioned for 3 weeks, would it then be ok to put them in the fridge on their sides? It will hold more bottles on the racks than if i took them out to stand the bottles up.

sure you can. if your worried about the sediment just stand a few up in the fridge prior to drinking and poor as normal

I assume when you put them in the fridge for a week, you put them in upright, and yeast settles at the bottom?

Perhaps the OP could adopt such a policy: put them in the fridge, but leave a spot for a few bottles standing upright, and just move a new one to the upright position every time you take a bottle out...

thats exactly what I do. the yeast settles to the bottom and you just poor as normal

You are correct, but I believe the OP is talking about putting them in the fridge AFTER they have finished conditioning/carbing

Reading skills ftw! No excuse either, just broke into my first beer tonight. Victory Hop Devil. Yum.

Wow ! I could put a layer of bottles between each other layer. That would look awesome.....

NRS

Back