Storing a keg filled with starsan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
It's been discussed before (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/leaving-star-san-keg-279203/ and in many other threads), but I couldn't find a concrete answer on my question in particular....

It seems like I can store a keg filled with starsan but unless I use DI / RO water the starsan will break down minerals in the water and cause a cloudy haze that can leave the inside of the keg slimy. Will this in any way damage the inside of the keg? Or is this just simply a matter of 'gonna hafta clean and sanitize' before I move beer into it...

Currently have two 5 gal carboys filled with starsan but will need to be moved somewhere else once they are going to be used as secondary's.

unrelated question (feel free to answer or "hey this should be its own post" me) I'm picking up a keg of Lil Heaven from Two Roads tomorrow just to get my kegerator operational while I wait for this years brews to become ready...When it comes time to connect everything am I going to want to sanitize both the beer lines AND the CO2 lines...or just the beer?

Thanks in advance!

I don't see why you would want to store your keg with starsan. I clean mine and store them dry, when its time to fill them they get sanitized and filled. No worry about trying to get the starsan film off all the parts.

You don't need to clean your CO2 lines unless you managed to push beer into the CO2 line...a check valve is a good idea to prevent such from happening.

They have check valves cheap (1/4) at us plastics. You could also put one of those .23 micron filters most homebrew shops sell in-line if you're paranoid - just put it behind the check valve.

+1 one on "why." I'm not sure what long term exposure would do to the stainless and the other parts. Glass is better because it won't eat through, but I rarely have more than a gallon banging around.

Definitely use distilled water - makes the stuff last forever.

Its not that I feel the need to store them with the starsan...I just don't want to dump perfectly good sanitizer. I was leaning towards dumping it just to be on the safe side, just looking for an excuse not to be wasteful is all.

thanks for the heads up on the check valve and line prep suggestions

I'd tend to not want my stainless exposed to acid for a prolonged period. If you buy the big size starsan you may be more inclined to get rid of it after a brew session as it lasts so long you start thinking you might want a fresh supply after a few years. I suppose that gets into how much you make at a time though. I never make more than 2.5 gallons.

First of all, you only need about 2 cups of Starsan to sanitize a keg. Just put it in and slosh it around a few times and let it sit for 5 minutes then dump it out.
I store my Starsan in one of those 5 gallon Gott drink dispensers.

Thanks...lol...i kno i kno ....was just looking for an excuse not to dump it down the drain once i had to make space in the carboys (that its currently stored in) to secondary my current brews. need more storage containers i guess

Back