Stored yeast got warm, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
I have about 6 mason jars of saved yeast that were in a fridge in our breezeway. The fridge died at some point this week and I didnt notice till today.

I suspect that they warmed up to at least 75 degrees during the day for several days. Are all my little buddies lost?

They still looked fine, except the White Labs Belgian yeast looked like it was kicking back up, the top of the mason jar was bulged way up!

I would take a sample and count the cells with my microscope :) Serious tho, they are probably fine although the viability took a hit and most likely will not last as long. If it looks like peanut better it means the cells are dead and you might want to pitch it or step it up now in some other jars for future use. You also might need to do a mult-step starter depending on the viability.

The ones that reactivated throw. The ones that didn't make a starter or better yet a small gallon batch and check. I probably would just throw all out and start over ymmv

Damn I hate wasting expensive liquid yeast. OK, I will make starters of the ones I really care about. My saved 04 and 05 will get tossed. They are cheap.

Latest posts

Back