Store PH meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madisoneyes

Reaction score
What Is the best way to store the probe to keep it wet. The pH storage solution keeps evaporating off. The best I have come up with is putting the meter in a cup of solution in a gallon size bag and zip locking them up.

What Is the best way to store the probe to keep it wet. The pH storage solution keeps evaporating off. The best I have come up with is putting the meter in a cup of solution in a gallon size bag and zip locking them up.

The whole meter? Can't you just remove the tip and put it in something a heck of a lot smaller? I can't imagine putting the meter electronics in a humid, Potassium Chloride and Potassium Hydrogen Phthalate laden environment would be healthy for it...

Cheers!

What they shared with me at the shop where I bought mine was to size a piece of sponge so it fits into the cap touching the probe. Then wet it with distilled water and close up the cap for storage. Tends to last over a month for me before I have to re-wet. It's rare that I go for longer than a month before I brew and use it again so it works out well.

The best way to store a pH electrode is to follow the manufacturers instructions. Usually this involves fitting a cap filled with storage solution (KCl in most cases). The potassium chloride will "creep" out and the water will wick up and evaporate so that the fill has to be renewed from time to time but if that's what the manufacturer recommends, do it. Kluging up a larger container over the end of the electrode may reduce the required frequency of filling but creep will still take place and renewal will still be necessary.

Distilled water and buffer are usually specifically not recommended for electrode storage but if the electrode manufacturer recommends that, do it.

Yeah, the pH probe needs to stay wet. Use some form of KCl. Do NOT use DI/distilled water for long term storage (>24 hours). The DI will "pull" the electrolyte out of the membrane. You can usually regenerate a pH probe that's been dry with a solution of hot salt water, but it reduces the life of the electrode.

http://www.myronl.com/PDF/PHTR.pdf

As always, YMMV.

Buffers are usually not suitable for storage for the reason mentioned in #4 and #6. They allow migration of ions out of the leached layer which is where the rubber meets the road.

Storing electrodes in distilled or de-ionized water is not recommended as it will deplete the hydrated layer of refillable electrodes and decrease the life of non-refillable electrodes.
For long term storage a solution containing a 50:50 mixture of 4 M potassium chloride and ph 4 standard buffer can be used.
For short term storage (day to day) a 4 or 7 buffer (which ever is closest to actual ph in sample) can be used as long as the electrode fill hole is closed during storage.

As I've already made clear, follow the manufacturers recommendations! They know their products better than anyone here. I can tell you why it isn't, in general, a good idea to do this or that but the manufacturer is the only authority whose advice should be followed.

As I've already made clear, follow the manufacturers recommendations! They know their products better than anyone here. I can tell you why it isn't, in general, a good idea to do this or that but the manufacturer is the only authority whose advice should be followed.

:rockin:

this is per my manufacturer's recommendations grumpy pants....

I used to have the same problem with the probe drying out. One day when I was cleaning up a cabinet I came on the perfect solution. This is an old childrens medicine bottle with dropper. I removed the dropper part and cut off the top of the squeeze part and stuck the probe through it. When I need to use the probe I remove and leave the "boot" attached to the probe. Works great.

2il280p.jpg

this is per my manufacturer's recommendations grumpy pants....

Well then that's what you should do. What you should have done in the post is say "The manufacturer of my meter, an Acme pHoenix recommends the following". That would have broadened the readers perspective by offering a concrete example. Wording it as it was worded implies that the specified method is generally acceptable and it isn't. When the readers get mislead I get grumpy.

Back