Store or Drink Pentially Oxidized Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troglodytes

Reaction score
I had a very bad bottling day for the ginger saison I finished 2 weeks ago. I used a SS valve at the bottom of my Speidel for the first time and like a dunce didn't realize I didn't have the right sized hose, so for about 50 ounces of beer, I basically transferred by pouring it from countertop to bucket on the floor, I'm sure oxygenating all the way. then I developed a crack in my racking cane which made keeping a siphon impossible, and then something happened to my auto siphon and I could hear it sucking air while fully submerged in my fermenter.

Whatever, we all have bad nights, the problem is that I feel this beer could be oxidized, potentially pretty heavily. However, I am bottle conditioning (so the yeast should scrub some) and its very high alcohol (+9% by accident).

The issue is, that it is currently both high alcohol so it not only need more time to carb, but also condition; and also, the amount of ginger needs a bit of time to subside (I went 2 oz in boil and 2 oz secondary in 5 gallons). My guess is that this will be hitting its peak in about 3-4 months.

My question is, do I risk aging this a while so it hits its peak with the downside being oxidation and missing my opportunity to actually drink it when its ok? I plan on waiting for it to be fully carbed and then storing it at cellar temperatures for the aging process.

EDIT: Wow, title gore. Apologies for the misspellings.

That's my thinking too. I'd hate to end up consuming a quarter of the batch as weekly tests when they really aren't ready, but it would be worse to waste the whole batch by not cracking one and finding out I should have already consumed it.

I cant believe the results of Marshall's test at 100 days. That makes me think that on a homebrew level the yeast is metabolizing the O2 or something. It gives me hope because hops are apparently way more susceptible to oxidation and my saison is yeast, grain and ginger forward so may just be fine despite the fact that is was by far my worst bottling session. Literally nothing went right.

Haha, I just remembered the bombers I bottled were ones my FIL brought me and I didn't realize until capping time that they had been corked and caged. So I, being completely pissed off at this point, just did a slow pour transfer into some growlers. If any of the bottles are oxidized, its those ones. Maybe I'll drink them first.

Latest posts

Back