Stopping the fermentation process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblynch

Reaction score
I have a conceptual problem: what if I want to stop fermentation at a certain point- I understand that I can do this by adding a campden tablet. However, what if I also want a sparkling cider? Haven't I just killed the little guys that are supposed to make the bubbles after bottling? Do you just add a touch more yeast to the batch before bottling?

Any comments are appreciated.

Campden will not kill yeast or stop fermentation. A combination of racking, sorbate and campden/sulfites may be successful though, but then you will not be able to bottle carbonate. If you did just add more yeast just before bottling, then there was no point in stopping the initial fermentation since these new guys will just complete the work.

Do some searches on the forum for 'cold crashing', a useful technique for stopping fermentation without killing the yeast. Also, read the stovetop pasteurizing sticky at the top of the forum for a guide to making a stable bottle carbonated cider with residual sugar.

That's interesting. I thought the whole reason for adding Campden before pitching yeast was to kill off any other potentially competing natural yeasts. The idea of cold crashing makes sense- but might be a challenge to find good place to store. Thanks for the response. I'll keep thinking.

Latest posts

Back