stopping refermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErinRae

Reaction score
Can someone clarify the steps and amounts for adding sorbate and camden.

My mead (1 gallon) has been aging for months and stopped fermenting months ago. I was thinking of adding in the sorbate and camden to help ensure no bottle bombs in the future. Should I add this stuff and stir? and then rerack? Or rerack onto the stuff? Are more lees going to drop after adding the sorbate and camden.

Thanks!

Its a case of "either or".

I'd suspect that there's likely some small amount of sediment will be in the aged brew.

So I'd say rack onto the sulphite and then gently stir, then mix a small amount of the mead with the sorbate to dissolve it as much as possible before adding it to the main batch and stir gently.

Then just leave it a day or two so it all fully incorporates before bottling.

Im not convinced that the waiting time I like to use is really necessary but it keeps me happy.

Sulphite is normally in the form of campden tablets. Racking etc, its added at 1 crushed campden tablet per gallon and provides about 50 ppm of sulphur.

The sorbate is added at either 1/4 or 1/2 tsp per gallon, it seems that it depends on the make of the stuff you have so just follow the guidance on the pack.......

Best practices are to rack onto the stabilizers. Others just mix in some water and pitch. Or add directly even. Then wait a few weeks for it to work.

The amounts you need to use should be labeled on the bottle. Most cam tabs are 1 per gallon. I think sorbate is 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Finally about the lees, Lees will continue to drop out until there are no more lees to drop out. Lots of people wait until you can read a newspaper through the carboy to bottle.

Edit: Fatbloke'd

Back