Stopper loose on fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceanbear1

Reaction score
I'm not really new to brewing, but this feels like a newbie question, so I'm posting it here.

This morning I took my carboy that has been in my fermentation fridge for 2 weeks and put it on the counter to keg tonight. I noticed that the stopper on the top was not tight against the glass like it should be, but rather appeared to have been forced up and was mostly just sitting on top. What could I do? I pushed it back down and went to work.

so my question is, could this have allowed enough oxygen in the carboy to oxidize my beer? Obviously I will found out the answer to this tonight, but as I'm sitting at work frustrated at the thought that this batch of beer might be ruined, I would like to hear your thoughts

Since this was during fermentation, co2 production would keep positive pressure inside, thus keeping bad things out of the fermenter, including oxygen. IMO you have nothing to worry about.

Since this was during fermentation, co2 production would keep positive pressure inside, thus keeping bad things out of the fermenter, including oxygen. IMO you have nothing to worry about.

That's what the logical part of my braining was telling me, plus since I dry hopped I released some additional CO2 to help build a buffer. But the illogical part was telling me I just wasted a rather expensive beer

There are plenty of stories of fermentations where the stopper was totally blown out of the carboy for a couple of days and the beer was fine. No worries here....

so my question is, could this have allowed enough oxygen in the carboy to oxidize my beer? Obviously I will found out the answer to this tonight, but as I'm sitting at work frustrated at the thought that this batch of beer might be ruined, I would like to hear your thoughts

you should be fine as others have said...

Sometimes when I have a brew that I know is going to really "go to town" I just cover the hole with a StarSan soaked rag and it stays there until it has calmed down...

Then of course,,, some people "Open Ferment".

As long as there is OVER PREASURE nothing is going in to the bottle of any significance... Yes, O2 will make it to the service of the beer because that is the nature of gases but not enough to effect the beer.

After (2) weeks your fermentation was long completed and if the stopper wasn't tight then all of the CO2 in the headspace diffused already. (and even if it were tight it's still air permiable http://www.mocon.com/assets/documents/PPS_Article_highq.pdf ) Gasses do not need pressure differential to diffuse.

That said, unless you normally go through extreme measures to prevent oxidation you will likely notice no difference especially if quickly consumed.

The "open fermentation" done professionally is very carefully monitored and transferred before the beer reaches final gravity and the active fermentation is over.

Back