Stop fermentation? Or DON'T YOU DARE! ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davevjordon

Reaction score
First batch, fermentation day 13. Five gallons in a 7.9 gal fermentation bucket. It's killing me to have to wait longer than 2 weeks, and it's still SLOWLY fermenting. The airlock hasn't equalized yet, so I don't really want to bother taking the lid off yet to do gravity readings. I'm assuming you would tell me to let the fermentation take it's course? And stop when it's done? I figure that even though the bubbles in the airlock are 2.5 minutes apart, fermentation is still quite active, because it's filling a lot of dead space (5 gallon batch in a 7.9 gallon bucket) Any opinions?

No need to lift the lid and disturb the headspace.

If you really want to know where it is, siphon some beer out through the grommet hole using a piece of skinny 5/16" OD tubing and take your reading.

What the hey! I feel like being provocative today and will say this ---> Air lock activity is ABSOLUTELY an indication of fermentation and/or the lack thereof. Depending on your airlock size/design, alcohol production/CO2 release is a direct indication of fermentation.

Granted, when airlock activity ceases it doesn't mean the yeast/fermentation cycle is complete from the stand point of yeast clean up, but have never seen any beer drop more than insignificant point/s of hydrometer once the bubbling has stopped completely.

What the hey! I feel like being provocative today and will say this ---> Air lock activity is ABSOLUTELY an indication of fermentation and/or the lack thereof. Depending on your airlock size/design, alcohol production/CO2 release is a direct indication of fermentation.

Granted, when airlock activity ceases it doesn't mean the yeast/fermentation cycle is complete from the stand point of yeast clean up, but have never seen any beer drop more than insignificant point/s of hydrometer once the bubbling has stopped completely.

It is not uncommon for there to be a slight leak of CO2 elsewhere, so airlock activity is not a RELIABLE indication of fermentation. I recently fermented an IPA in a keg that did not have a great seal in the lid. I never saw a single bubble in the airlock, but fermentation completed without a hitch....

No, no, no, no. A beer can be completely fermented, and still have airlock activity. If the beer warms at all, the CO2 dissolved in solution will then come out of solution, potentially causing airlock activity, even though there is no actual fermentation taking place.

What is it and what kind of yeast did you use? If it's something low ABV, take a reading and see if it's done. If it's on the higher end, I'd wait. Most often patience pays in this hobby.

No, no, no, no. A beer can be completely fermented, and still have airlock activity. If the beer warms at all, the CO2 dissolved in solution will then come out of solution, potentially causing airlock activity, even though there is no actual fermentation taking place.

And weirdly, barometric pressure changes can cause airlock bubbling. I had a long finished wine sitting in a carboy, and it started bubbling. I was wondering what was going on, but it turns out the barometric pressure was rising and the airlock bubbled every 30 seconds or so- very strange to me for sure.

There is one way to see if the beer is done- take a gravity reading. And look for clarity in the sample- if it's clear, and at an appropriate FG, it's ready to bottle.

I suspect that the barometric pressure was falling, not rising..

H.W.

And weirdly, barometric pressure changes can cause airlock bubbling. I had a long finished wine sitting in a carboy, and it started bubbling. I was wondering what was going on, but it turns out the barometric pressure was rising and the airlock bubbled every 30 seconds or so- very strange to me for sure.

There is one way to see if the beer is done- take a gravity reading. And look for clarity in the sample- if it's clear, and at an appropriate FG, it's ready to bottle.

I have seen airlock activity long after final gravity had been reached.

I suspect that the barometric pressure was falling, not rising..

H.W.

It could be either rising or falling, if using an S-style airlock....

I had a beer that was sitting for over 5 months and it would still occasionally bubble the airlock.

If it is bubbling you more than likely have fermentation occurring.
If it is not bubbling you could or might not have fermentation occurring.
If it is bubbling you may or may not have reached final gravity.
If it is not bubbling you may or may not have reached final gravity
If you have reached final gravity it may or may not bubble.

I have seen airlock activity long after final gravity had been reached.

It could be either rising or falling, if using an S-style airlock....

I had a beer that was sitting for over 5 months and it would still occasionally bubble the airlock.

If it is bubbling you more than likely have fermentation occurring.
If it is not bubbling you could or might not have fermentation occurring.
If it is bubbling you may or may not have reached final gravity.
If it is not bubbling you may or may not have reached final gravity
If you have reached final gravity it may or may not bubble.

I like the way you make your point. Thanks for the help.

I have an amber ale which is at FG and it's still bubbling. It's in a glass demijohn with a bung, no leaks. I'm confident it's done, but at the same time I don't really care if it sits there another week or 2.

I know the airlock means nothing, yet I feel happier waiting for it to go still.

Latest posts

Back