American IPA Stone Ruination Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this thread has been revived time and time again and I've read through a good portion of it, but as I get set to brew this in a couple weeks I haven't found anything relating to the water profile.

I use distilled water and add salts from there. If Yooper is still watching this thread, what was your water like for brewing this beer? Or if anyone else has built up from distilled with a good result, what did your additions look like? Im think around 100ppm Ca and then bumping the sulfate up a good bit to help for a drying effect like i wouold in most IPA's or DIPA's but would love to hear what other people did. Thanks!

I probably wouldn't go to 100 ppm of calcium, unless you can't help it, but I didn't boost my sulfate too much, around 150 ppm or so. Mash pH of around 5.4.

If anyone has the 2.0 recipe please post! I just bought another 6er this stuff is so good. I need to make my own before my wife finds out its 15 bucks a 6 pack.:mug:

Ive dne a toned down versionwhich came out well, but used nugget instead of azacca, as i couldnt get any at the time.

6% Quaffer
0.75oz magnum @60
1.75oz centennial @10
1oz each citra/simcoe/nugget @0
3.5oz centennial @ dryhop

came out well. i'll plan to make it a big version soon, so the hop additions will get bigger :)

Thank you, I will try this out this week. Is that hop schedule for a 5 gal batch?

If your planningthe ruination clone itself for V2.0, the base build is the same.
bump your 10 min to 1.75 oz, and use maybe 1.25oz azacca/simcoe/citra at flameout.
then deryhop with a buttload of centennial.

so pretty similar just a bit more complex towards the end.
this is what i'd do, and will do after my wedding.....

14 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 93.33 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %

1 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 73.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (30 min) Hops 22.1 IBU
1.75 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (10 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
1.25 oz Citra [12.00%] (0 min) Hops 0.0 IBU
1.25 oz Simcoe [12.60%] (0 min) Hops 0.0 IBU
1.25 oz Azacca [14.50%] (0 min) Hops 0.0 IBU
3.50 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Last edited:
After all these years I still come back to this recipe as a go to for an West Coast style IPA.

If your planningthe ruination clone itself for V2.0, the base build is the same.
bump your 10 min to 1.75 oz, and use maybe 1.25oz azacca/simcoe/citra at flameout.

I went with 2 oz centennial and 1 oz azacca for the dry hop. Just tasted before cold crashing and it is on point Ruination 2.0

Any Update on this?
I'm gearing up for this one soon.

I just tried it yesterday after it carbed in the keg. I haven't tried a side by side comparison yet but it tastes exactly line ruination 2.0. Very good results I couldn't be happier. I used pacman yeast if I didn't mention it.

Any Update on this?
I'm gearing up for this one soon.

I just tried it yesterday after it carbed in the keg. I haven't tried a side by side comparison yet but it tastes exactly line ruination 2.0. Very good results I couldn't be happier. I used pacman yeast if I didn't mention it.

Now I am off in search of a recipe for Saint Archer Mosaic. I just tried it and it is an outstanding IPA. I am not able to find anything online for any Saint Archer recipes. This might be trial and error!

Now I am off in search of a recipe for Saint Archer Mosaic. I just tried it and it is an outstanding IPA. I am not able to find anything online for any Saint Archer recipes. This might be trial and error!

you could almost do the same recipe but switch out the hops for mosaic chinook simcoe and amarillo.
Using mosaic as the replacement for centennial.

Thanks for the recipe Yooper!

Kegged this about a week ago, had my first taste last Sunday. I dry hopped with 3oz instead of 2 and used S05 instead of pacman, but everything else was per recipe.

After clearing nearly a dozen hop pellets from the bev out post spring, finally got a good pour.

20160311_191441.jpg

So, I have an oatmeal stout in the pipeline next (also Yoopers recipe) then I'm doing this. I only have one fermenter I can use at a time so that gives me plenty of planning time for this. Now, I have no issue getting the hops, but I also have a bunch of Citra on hand and I was thinking about using some alongside the Centennial. Since Citra can easily overpower other hops I was thinking about using half the amount of Citra alongside the Centennial additions. Sound good? Should I drop the Citra idea all together? Do they play well together?

Thanks in advance everyone.

I'm about to order the ingredients for this, but im not getting 73 IBU's in beersmith with the 1 oz. 60 min Magnum hop addition. Is that a typo or should it be 1.75 oz like the original recipe? Sorry im pretty new and dont wana screw it up.

Thanks

I'd like to know, too! I'm guessing that the whole deal with v2.0 is less early hop additions and much more late hop additions... And, maybe, the 60 minute quantity was changed, but IBUs were not recalculated???

I'm about to order the ingredients for this, but im not getting 73 IBU's in beersmith with the 1 oz. 60 min Magnum hop addition. Is that a typo or should it be 1.75 oz like the original recipe? Sorry im pretty new and dont wana screw it up.

Thanks

I dropped the addition, as i upped the later hops, which while they wont contribute to the larger bitterness, they will contribute to a more bold hop flavour.
I found the V2.0 to be less bitter than V1.0 but much hoppier, and flavorsome.

I increased the 10 min addition 10 1.75oz,
and the flameout hops will contribute some bitterness (not alot) to the final product. with 3.75oz going in at flameout.

Should sit around 80-90 IBU total using Rager.

I dropped the addition, as i upped the later hops, which while they wont contribute to the larger bitterness, they will contribute to a more bold hop flavour.
I found the V2.0 to be less bitter than V1.0 but much hoppier, and flavorsome.

I increased the 10 min addition 10 1.75oz,
and the flameout hops will contribute some bitterness (not alot) to the final product. with 3.75oz going in at flameout.

Should sit around 80-90 IBU total using Rager.

Thanks for clearing that up. :mug:

Alternative version of this brewed on friday.
Went back a bit towards yoopers recipe., but increased the hoppingto suit the above.

Here's where I went (wanted it drier)
13.2lb Ale Malt
2.2lb Vienna
1.1lb Munich
8oz Acid (pH)

1.75 oz Cascade [6.60 %] (10 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
2.8 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (0 min) Hops 0.0 IBU
2.3 oz Citra [12.60%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
1.4 oz Galaxy [14.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.35 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Yeast M44 Mangrove Jacks (5 Packs - Rehydrated (this stuff likes higher pitch rates, and it tended to start faster with higher pitch rates.)

OG 1.075
FG (aiming for 1.010)

Alternative version of this brewed on friday.
Went back a bit towards yoopers recipe., but increased the hoppingto suit the above.

Here's where I went (wanted it drier)
13.2lb Ale Malt
2.2lb Vienna
1.1lb Munich
8oz Acid (pH)

1.75 oz Cascade [6.60 %] (10 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
2.8 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (0 min) Hops 0.0 IBU
2.3 oz Citra [12.60%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
1.4 oz Galaxy [14.50%] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops
0.35 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops

Yeast M44 Mangrove Jacks (5 Packs - Rehydrated (this stuff likes higher pitch rates, and it tended to start faster with higher pitch rates.)

OG 1.075
FG (aiming for 1.010)

hit 1.073 - to 1.011 so pretty close.
It'll taste different, but When I kegged yesterday, it had nice saturated hops character. big bitterness, and plenty of fruit forward flavor from citra/galaxy.

I have this in the fermenter right now.. Added a little extra water so I could bottle some wort.... but still hit OG1.072. It is currently bubbling like mad.
I also added some Irish Moss, about 1oz at 15min.... threw in a couple of my whole hop centennial in the boil too.... and lastly used WLP007 as my yeast with a huge ole starter. I got Fermentation happen in 1st day, and it has already gone down .010 gravity since Sat night.

Crusader,

Any word how the last version turned out? This will probably be next brew as I already have all the hops for it.

Crusader,

Any word how the last version turned out? This will probably be next brew as I already have all the hope for it.

turned out really well.
I'd probably eliminate the Galaxy though (my stock was a little old i think, still good to use, but missing some aroma)

I'll probably use azacca instead of Galaxy anyway since that's what I have on hand. What was your water profile? How close was the beer to the real thing?

I'll probably use azacca instead of Galaxy anyway since that's what I have on hand. What was your water profile? How close was the beer to the real thing?

the centennial made it close, given theres so much of it.
but wit hte citra and galaxy it made it different enough. if that makes sense.

azacca makes more sense anyway (I just can't get it here)

the water profile for me is easy, we have really good water her e in chch.nz.
just a littele bit of chloride and sulphate.
i added 1/4tsp of gypsum as well to crisp it up,

So i got 5.5gal fermenting now. But i realized i used mosaic instead of azacca for the late additions. Should i just roll with mosaic for the dryhop or switch to azacca now?

So i got 5.5gal fermenting now. But i realized i used mosaic instead of azacca for the late additions. Should i just roll with mosaic for the dryhop or switch to azacca now?

i dont think it will matter. i using mosaic will change the beer obviously, but you've already chaged it slightly anyways.

it will all depend on whether you want to use more mosaic, (you might want some for another beer) or switch over.
just personal preference. really.

it'll still taste good.

Ok question- been fermenting for 6 days. Activity has slowed way down, havent checked graavity so i dont know exactly where its at. Im going out of town for a week, do i dry hop before i leave or let it sit another week and dryhop when i get back?

Edit: decided just to leave it for another week, ill dryhop when i get back

I dry hop after 7 days so I would dryhop it now. It wont hurt either way, just adds time to the process and makes you wait to have a drink!

Well just got back from out of town, no catastrophies with the beer while i was gone. Checked gravity and dryhopped this morning. Didnt get the the fg i was looking for, finished at 1.022. Oh well, didnt have time for a starter but double pitched 1099..
Had to modify my dry hops cuz i ran out of citra early.
Citra 1.2oz
Azacca 2.3oz
Centennial 1.5oz
Should still be a good beer

Brewed this up last Friday night. I've been looking at this recipe for years, I like how simple the recipe is.
OG 1.084 - Added some sugar.
On Sunday at some point my wife turned on the dehumidifier downstairs and my temps went from 68 to about 74+ on Monday... I hope this does not affect the turnout! :confused:
It's back down to upper 60's. I'll dry hop when I get back from the cape next Thursday.

Brewed this about a month back for our homebrewing COOP. I added 3oz of Cascade in the dry hop. A huge crowd pleaser!

Interesting that version 2.0 of this beer on their website lists quite a few hops including citra, anyone tried it? Much of a difference? Another cracking recipe Yoop, thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180711-231951.png
    Screenshot_20180711-231951.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 91
Interesting that version 2.0 of this beer on their website lists quite a few hops including citra, anyone tried it? Much of a difference? Another cracking recipe Yoop, thanks!

Technically I think you'd call it version 3.0. As they changed the dryhopping regime after I visited. All the "new" hops are in the dryhop stage I've been told. The base recipe remains the same.

Back