Stone Brewing Growler Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kooklife

Reaction score
Can a stone growler bottle (2L) be used to bottle condition? By looking at the photo on the website it looks like a perfect swing top bottle. I am a huge fan of stone and if possible I would definitely like to do it.

I don't think growlers are designed to hold the pressure of carbonation, just the serving pressure out of a tap. I'm not sure exactly the difference, I'm sure someone will pop in and explain the science.

Depends what the growlers look like. The ones with the metal handles and swing tops are fine.

The all glass ones with screw top cannot hold the pressure.

I have personal experience. I have had 2 of the screw tops explode on me.

Special Hops said:
Depends what the growlers look like. The ones with the metal handles and swing tops are fine.

The all glass ones with screw top cannot hold the pressure.

I have personal experience. I have had 2 of the screw tops explode on me.

I use glass carboys with screwtops every few batches. No problem so far. However, I can see how they might be problematic.

Piratwolf said:
I use glass carboys with screwtops every few batches. No problem so far. However, I can see how they might be problematic.

I used them a bunch no problem. But after the 2nd one exploded u got a keg set-up. They are a ticking time bottle bomb.

Back