stocking up supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyMountainCraftBrewing

Reaction score
For the most part I purchase all of my home brewing staples via mailorder through an online shop with the exception of base grains as I buy them by the sack and usually in multiples.Good example it the malt order I just got in on where I opted for 3 bags of ESB.

The online shop I deal with offers flat rate shipping so when I do place an order it is rarely less than $100 and I like to top up and keep stocked up on things like whirlfloc tablets/irish moss/orange peel/yeast nutrient etc as those little things are brutally expensive at the LHBS.At the same time I will also get multiple pounds of specialty grains such as crystals/caras to make the most of the flat rate shipping which is $10.

The owner of the LHBS sounds the trumpet of "shop local" and "shipping costs you money" but that falls on deaf ears when he wants $7 for a packet of whirlfloc tablets that will cost me $3 online and a packet of US-05 costs $8 VS $75 for a 500 gram block.Or I could buy 4 ounces of hops locally and for $3 more I could buy a pound online.

An order for me would be say 1 or 2 pounds of hops and a couple packets of whilfloc tablets,tube of yeast nutrient/5-10 pounds of assorted specialty grains and maybe a few other odds and ends and with shipping it would cost near or under $100.

Just buying the hops locally by the ounce would cost me over $200 not to mention the inconvenience of having to drive there.

Am I alone in my practices or do others follow the same kind of guidelines?

RMCB

My LHBS has very reasonable prices on ingredients. I buy all my ingredients through them. They don't have the best prices on big equipment so I normally order those toys online.

I have bought a lot of stuff online, but also a reasonable amount of stuff from my LHBS. I feel a certain responsibility to patronize his store given that he's completely willing to give me advice or make suggestions.

As I have learned more and more about this, the need for that advice is less and less. In the end, I don't feel any particular requirement that I buy from him--after all, he's the one who made the choice to go into business selling brewing supplies, not me. And so there is no particular requirement that I buy local.

In the end, if the service and convenience of locally-available ingredients isn't worth the higher price, it's not worth the higher price. That's an individual decision.

I'm moving toward your approach, i.e., buying by the 50- or 55-pound sacks. It's cheaper, and I'm not made of money. I'll still buy some stuff from my LHBS, because there is some value in having someplace local in case I'm in dire need of an ingredient.

My LHBS is a little higher than most online shops, but it is great when one needs something quick and I buy my liquid yeasts there too. When online shops have sales and good shipping rates I purchase some extras. Or a kit that interests me.

I do a little of both. But, my LHBS is only about 5 miles away and their prices are not totally out of line. I get my bulk grains there, some spur of the moment items and bigger items when I don't want to make a large order online to get low shipping rates. Most of my hops are ordered online, especially when they are discounted.

I buy my yeasts in 11 gram packs. A 500 gram block of US-05 would be a huge waste for me because I use multiple yeast strains and at the rate I brew, if it would last that long, would cover my brewing for 7-21 years....... I don't think I have used much over $200 in hops in the 4+ years that I have been brewing???

Are you a commercial brewer? If so why are you not buying wholesale? If not how do you use so much ingredients?

So, although it applies (LHBS/online even with differing amounts) I wonder how much your totals relate to most homebrewers in all of this?? Does it apply the same for someone who does 5 gallon batches 12 or less times per year?

For the most part I purchase all of my home brewing staples via mailorder through an online shop with the exception of base grains as I buy them by the sack and usually in multiples.Good example it the malt order I just got in on where I opted for 3 bags of ESB.

The online shop I deal with offers flat rate shipping so when I do place an order it is rarely less than $100 and I like to top up and keep stocked up on things like whirlfloc tablets/irish moss/orange peel/yeast nutrient etc as those little things are brutally expensive at the LHBS.At the same time I will also get multiple pounds of specialty grains such as crystals/caras to make the most of the flat rate shipping which is $10.

The owner of the LHBS sounds the trumpet of "shop local" and "shipping costs you money" but that falls on deaf ears when he wants $7 for a packet of whirlfloc tablets that will cost me $3 online and a packet of US-05 costs $8 VS $75 for a 500 gram block.Or I could buy 4 ounces of hops locally and for $3 more I could buy a pound online.

An order for me would be say 1 or 2 pounds of hops and a couple packets of whilfloc tablets,tube of yeast nutrient/5-10 pounds of assorted specialty grains and maybe a few other odds and ends and with shipping it would cost near or under $100.

Just buying the hops locally by the ounce would cost me over $200 not to mention the inconvenience of having to drive there.

Am I alone in my practices or do others follow the same kind of guidelines?

RMCB

I buy online but also support the LHBS in Edmonton, as its a really good store and has just about everything when it comes to grains. I tend to buy bulk hops online plus whatever specialty grain and odds and ends I need at the time. I'll buy bulk grain at the LHBS, specialty grain, yeast and a couple ounces of hops now and then.

BTW - which online store are you using that has a flat $10 shipping rate to Alberta?

I do a little of both. But, my LHBS is only about 5 miles away and their prices are not totally out of line. I get my bulk grains there, some spur of the moment items and bigger items when I don't want to make a large order online to get low shipping rates. Most of my hops are ordered online, especially when they are discounted.

I buy my yeasts in 11 gram packs. A 500 gram block of US-05 would be a huge waste for me because I use multiple yeast strains and at the rate I brew, if it would last that long, would cover my brewing for 7-21 years....... I don't think I have used much over $200 in hops in the 4+ years that I have been brewing???

Are you a commercial brewer? If so why are you not buying wholesale? If not how do you use so much ingredients?

So, although it applies (LHBS/online even with differing amounts) I wonder how much your totals relate to most homebrewers in all of this?? Does it apply the same for someone who does 5 gallon batches 12 or less times per year?

I am not a commercial brewer so I am not allowed to buy wholesale.I generally brew a 5 gallon batch each week though I am known to miss a brew day here and there and sometimes it could go 2 weeks in a row once in a while.As to how it relates to other home brewers I dont know hence this thread.I have seen videos on Youtube where the person is all excited about getting/brewing a kit that they paid for. and had shipped.I dont do kits as I wont pay the premium they cost.To me making good beer is as simple as clean water/quality malt/good hops and a few additions to add flavour such as orange peel/corriander seeds.

I buy online but also support the LHBS in Edmonton, as its a really good store and has just about everything when it comes to grains. I tend to buy bulk hops online plus whatever specialty grain and odds and ends I need at the time. I'll buy bulk grain at the LHBS, specialty grain, yeast and a couple ounces of hops now and then.

BTW - which online store are you using that has a flat $10 shipping rate to Alberta?

For online purchases I use both BeerGrainsSupply and Everwood Ave Brewshop with the latter having the best shipping rates.Both are excellent for customer service.I have had 1 mistake with each and the response I got both times was way better than I possibly hoped for.

My preferred online shop is Everwood Ave.It is a 1 man operation and whilst your order may not get shipped sameday it is gone over meticulously not to mention the guy carries a pretty damn good selection of pretty much anything/everything and the flat rate shipping cant be beat.Say you order 5 pounds of specialty grains/3 pounds LME/2 pounds of hops and some other small odds and ends and tack on the $10 for shipping and you get it within 5 days.The order might cost you $60 tops and you do have to wait for it but considering my LHBS wants $10+ for the LME and does not sell hops by the pound it is a no-brainer for savings.

RMCB

For online purchases I use both BeerGrainsSupply and Everwood Ave Brewshop with the latter having the best shipping rates.Both are excellent for customer service.I have had 1 mistake with each and the response I got both times was way better than I possibly hoped for.

My preferred online shop is Everwood Ave.It is a 1 man operation and whilst your order may not get shipped sameday it is gone over meticulously not to mention the guy carries a pretty damn good selection of pretty much anything/everything and the flat rate shipping cant be beat.Say you order 5 pounds of specialty grains/3 pounds LME/2 pounds of hops and some other small odds and ends and tack on the $10 for shipping and you get it within 5 days.The order might cost you $60 tops and you do have to wait for it but considering my LHBS wants $10+ for the LME and does not sell hops by the pound it is a no-brainer for savings.

RMCB

Thanks for the leads.

I got my malt order in.6 bags of malt with 3 being ESB and a bag each of Pale Ale/Munich/Vienna.Total cost was $160 CDN for 330 pounds of malt.

Thats under 50 cents a pound for premium base grains as it is not plain ol 2 row.The LHBS wants $50 for bag of 2 row if you are a member of the local home brew club which you have to pay yearly dues that the LHBS is the sponsor.

Buying in bulk for the home brewer is the best :D:D

RMCB

Just placed my first order with Everwood Ave! Couple pounds of hops and some specialty grains on the way. Hoping they'll make it to Edmonton by Friday.

Latest posts

Back