Stir Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I just bought a Stir Starter and 2000ml flask to start doing yeast starters. The Stir Starter site linked to the site below for instructions on how to prepare your yeast starter. It all makes sense except the part where you take a glass flask full of boiling wort and stick it in an ice bath. Is this correct? Or is it just a way to sell more flasks?

http://hbd.org/uchima/yeaststart/yeaststart.html

I 've done it many times with no problems. In fact that's the best way to do it. Those are pyrex, or Bomex or something like that. They can handle it. I put mine right on my electric range and straight to an ice bath. Those flasks are great.

I 've done it many times with no problems. In fact that's the best way to do it. Those are pyrex, or Bomex or something like that. They can handle it. I put mine right on my electric range and straight to an ice bath. Those flasks are great.

Your electric range hasn't shattered one yet? I had the worst luck when I had an electric range.

To the OP, if it makes you feel more comfortable you can first use tap water to bring down the temp and then use ice water.

I just bought a used flask and first time i used it on the electric stove--CRACK! not sure if it happened while heating or when i put it in ~70 degree tap water..my other flask, which i bought new, has been used on the stove 3-4 times without cracking. In any case i'm not putting it directly on the element anymore.

I've been doing that for years without any problems.
I wouldn't like to put one on an electric stove however. The areas in contact with the element would get extremely hot. Areas not in contact would be much cooler, resulting in considerable stress. Gas stoves are much more forgiving, and I always boil the starter on mine.

-a.

you just have to make sure the flask is borosilicate. They do some sort of heat treating to it so that it can go from hot to cold without cracking. The only thing you have to be careful about is putting it directly on an electric stove heating element. You can heat it in a water bath though or on a hot plate.

well FWIW I've used mine probably thirty times on an electric stove. I've never tried to boil with it on high however. It boils in 15 minutes on medium.

Yep, boiling hot flask to ice bath many times without problems here as well. I have a gas stove, but honestly I still boil the starter wort in a small pot and transfer to the flask with a funnel. Every time I try to boil in the flask I end up with a volcano because I'm too lazy to sit and carefully watch it. :D

I transfer my starter to a cool "water only" bath in my sink first. Once the water has warmed up a bit, I add ice to the water. The pyrex material is built from material is resistant to thermal shock, but I still want to avoid any accidents.

Try a burner trivet for the electric range. It's basically a wire device that elevates the glass a couple of mm off of the burner itself.

Back