Stir Plate DIY troubleshooting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkelly32

Reaction score
So I have all this equipment for build it yourself stir plate, only problem is I am not an electrician and have no electrical background. I have sifted through the threads here regarding homemade stir plates and have yet to find very simple directions to use wire connectors correctly and EXACTLY where to hook everything up. I know this may be a monumental task trying to explain this to me but I hope someone will be able to. This is a picture of most of the important stuff in the build. 12 v computer fan, 4.5 v phone charger (I can get a highervoltage one if necessary, wooden box from goodwill, on/off switch wedged into cut in box, rheostat, control knobs, and wire connectors.

Which wires connect to what? on/off switch? rheostat/control knobs? How do I use the wire connectors correctly? Please try to help as best you can, and if all else fails if someone local can hook it all up I would buy you a sixer of some top shelf. peace.

photo(2).jpg

photo(3).jpg

photo(4).jpg

photo(5).jpg

photo(6).jpg

http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html

schematic at bottom.

I don't see any voltage regulator or resistors in the photo though so that schematic won't work for you really... I'm hoping you got those parts but just didn't photo them.

If you're wanting to use just the following:
rheostat
transformer (power supply)
on/off switch
fan

go
transformer hot (black, no stripe) -> switch terminal
other switch terminal -> rheostat (either terminal, polarity doesnt matter)
other rheostat terminal -> fan -
then from fan + back round to the other end of your power supply

...i think. disclaimer: i'm a mechanical engineer and barely know an electron from my ass

goto about 6:00min into the video and you can "see how its wired" thats what i did. hit the pause button and tried to copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.stirstarters.com/instructions.html

schematic at bottom.

I don't see any voltage regulator or resistors in the photo though so that schematic won't work for you really... I'm hoping you got those parts but just didn't photo them.

If you're wanting to use just the following:
rheostat
transformer (power supply)
on/off switch
fan

go
transformer hot (black, no stripe) -> switch terminal
other switch terminal -> rheostat (either terminal, polarity doesnt matter)
other rheostat terminal -> fan -
then from fan + back round to the other end of your power supply

...i think. disclaimer: i'm a mechanical engineer and barely know an electron from my ass

So those control knobs are not regulators? And I'm still confused as to which wires connect to the control knobs and or rheostat. I get where to connect the the transformer to the switch terminal, but what wire connects the rheostat to the switch terminal? lol damn this **** is like high school statistics all over again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28X8XckvUTM goto about 6:00min into the video and you can "see how its wired" thats what i did. hit the pause button and tried to copy.

Yea I watched that and tried to do the same thing, but the camera was a little bit to much to the right to see all connections, plus this guy soldered it I have wire connectors of which I do not know how to use. Where is the local guy who knows how to build this quick like? I got a sixer of Leffe or Spotted Cow, ****ing Summit India Pale, Fat Tire, whatever you want Hacker Pschorr we in there get at me!

Latest posts

Back