Stir after you add yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some do some don't it really is a matter of preference. The yeast have a tnedency to know what to do without us, or despite us.

I sprinkle my dry yeast on the surface of the fermenter seal up my fermenter, let it sit on the surface for 15-30 minutes while I begin clean up and then I move it into my brew closet, that mixes the yeast in as I move it. In the case of liquid yeast I just pour my starter into the fermenter and seal it, and again move it after clean up,

I don't. I just pour my vial in, rinse the vial with my hydrometer sample and throw the lid and airlock on it. It gets shaken a little as i move it to its resting place. Never had a problem

I shake the crap out of the wort once it's in the carboy to aerate it, then pitch dry yeast on top and seal it up like Revvy. Works just fine so far.

I add my yeast first and then aerate with a wine de-gasser. It seems to me to be a good idea to disperse the yeast as well as possible. It may not help, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

I just made ed's apfelwein yesterday.... i added dry yeast and poured a bit of apple juice on top of it....after i moved it to my basement i looked and saw all the yeast piled up at the bottom of the carboy..... made me nervous 15 minutes later i saw little flecks nicely mixed throughout so i suspect no matter what you do...

the yeast know exactly what to do....

Back