Still, petillant, or sparkling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopperBrewer

Reaction score
So quick question about ciders.

I have recently fermented two ciders. One a cyser that finished at 13.5% and the other a New England Hard Cider that finished at 10.6%. In the past, whenever I have done ciders they were usually much lower in alcohol and I always made them sparkling in the past.

I was thinking of doing the New England Hard Cider sparkling but I have never seen a commercial variety so I don't know if it should be sparkling. Same thing for the cyser; don't know if it should be still, petillant, or sparkling.

What do all of you think?

And what the heck does petillant mean anyways?

Definition of PÉTILLANT

of wine
: mildly and slowly effervescing

IMHO if the ABV is closer to that of wine than bubbles are required if you are wanting more of a refreshing "cider" type beverage. Its all cider but the higher ABV lends t self more to a white wine but the bubbles will bring it back to a refreshing hot afternoon type drink.

1/2 to 1/3 I would guess. Not exactly sure as I have never made anything petillant

Back