Still making bad beer after 30+ batches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you cleaning the mesh strainer?

I would be concerned about any cold side equipment. I once over looked a ball valve on my kettle which ruined 4 batches before I finally took it apart. A nice thin coating of brown ear wax looking goop, passing some nice bacteria into my wort. The batches were not "terrible" just not bright and had harsh finish, not sour, and not super attenuated. I went crazy trying to figure it out.

Is the chilled wort pre fermentation tasting good?

When using the strainer is the wort exposed for a while with the lid off? Is your brewing environment overly dusty or drafty?

-I don't clean the strainer in any particular way. I guess I just use dish soap and of course, StarSan. I only started using this trying to troubleshoot this issue in the first place. I thought maybe excess trub or a lack of oxidation may be the cause.

-Good question on the pre-fermented wort. I'm not sure what it's "supposed" to taste like. I taste them all and they all taste similar; sweet and a little bitter.

-I have removed and cleaned out my ball valve. Didn't see to have an effect.

-I brew in my garage with the door up, it's not overly drafty or dusty. The lid is off my bucket for about 5 minutes while the wort is being transferred. I try and get the lid on as soon as possible. I do notice that my O.G. hydro sample ferments just as fast from wild yeast as my closed bucket does. It seems to make a decent sour!

This is an interesting dilemma. 30+ batches and not one keeper in the bunch? We tend to be our own worst critics when it comes to our beers. If they were all bad in the "same" way then I think you can troubleshoot things with suggestions in the other posts. If they were all or some bad in different ways then the fix becomes more problematic. I haven't read the thread very closely but how many styles have you tried across the 30 batches?

I have a Saison in the keg now. It's not my fave but my brewing partner likes it. If someone gave it to me without telling me what it was, I would think it was a "bad" batch of something. In the context of the style though it's pretty darn good. Maybe your palate and brain are having trouble syncing up.

Todd

I've had a few decent ones in the bunch(<5), decent but not good. I guess I've tried 6 or 7 different styles. I taste it in all of them, but it's more pronounced in browns, porters and stouts. I agree that I am my own worst critic, but I don't think I'm being too hard on myself. My wife can taste the same thing.

Another question that I'm surprised hasn't been asked is where are you getting your ingredients from? Are you crushing your own grains?

One of the first things I would do is get a high selling kit from a reputable vendor (maybe something like Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewer; first one that came to mind) and not switch anything out. Even better; buy two and the brew them the same way and bottle one whole batch and keg the other. If they both turn out fine then it is something with your ingredients. If the bottles turn out good and the keg is off then something with your kegging. If both are bad then it is something between the two ends.

If you can try to get a friend to buy the same kit and have them brew it also so you can have a control batch to try.

Thanks again for everyone's input, I truly appreciate it.
Just to answer a couple of more questions: I have three buckets in my rotation and haven't really kept notes as to what beer was made with what bucket. I used distilled water with Starsan for the first few batches but have been using regular tap water ever since. I read somewhere on here that if used in a timely manner, Starsan can be used with tap(well) water. Maybe not? I'll use distilled water from here on out to rule out another variable. I'll post my salt additions when I get home. Thanks again!

Another question that I'm surprised hasn't been asked is where are you getting your ingredients from? Are you crushing your own grains?

I have gotten my ingredients from two different local homebrew suppliers only. The only difference I see between the two is maybe one of them will give me a stuck sparge. I've never crushed my own grains.

This thread is fascinating me. Sorry that I have no advice to offer, I'm still a green brewer. But I am still learning a ton in here. Hate it for you, brother. Hope the good folks here get you sorted out!

I do use a racking cane, I've never really paid attention to the seals and connections? If was oxidation was the cause, would the hydro sample be good?

I don't have anything carbed up at the moment. I just dumped 5 gallons of an Oberon clone that was dreadful to make room for a chocolate oatmeal stout. I kegged this yesterday, I noticed the same taste was present. We'll see in a few days. I work at the Lansing airport so I'm not sure where you work in relation.

I would suspect the hydro sample to be good if the racking cane was bad. You could take in a sample to Red Salamander or Capital Area Homebrew supply. They are both very knowledgeable and could assist.

Reserve a half gallon of wort and ferment it in a glass gallon jug with tin foil over the opening. When it and its parent bucket finish fermenting (~10 days; don't wait an extended time), taste both and compare.

If the gallon jug sample is clean, it's your fermenter. If both are bad, it's something on the hot side.

To rule out the StarSan and other preparation components, "sanitize" the jug with very hot water - nothing else. Basically, isolate this jug entirely from the rest of the assembly line. Pour wort into it directly from the kettle.

I'll see if I can explain my process in a fairly brief manner: I start off by heating up roughly 4-gallons of mash water in a stainless pot. In the past I've used bottled water, now I use R.O. with salt additions using BruN water. I taste the water after the additions and it tastes as good as any. I heat the water up to 170-ish degrees and dump it into my 10-gallon mash tun with a false bottom. I leave the water in there until it cools to around 165 degrees. Once I get this temperature, I add the grain. I mix it all up for a few minutes and then read the temperature. I'm usually around 152(depending on recipe). Within the hour of mashing, I stir it up every 20 minutes and take a temp reading. I typically lose 2 degrees within the hour. I then vorlauf around 3-4 quarts until the cloudiness is gone. Once the initial volume has drained into my keggle, I then batch sparge by adding in another 5 gallons of 168 degree water, stir and let sit for ten minutes. I again vorlauf until clear. This leaves me with around 7-gallons of wort. I heat the wort up on a natural gas burner until the hot break. I back down the flame until I get a rolling boil. I add hops according to schedule. I typically boil for 60 minutes unless I'm making a really light beer in which I'll do 90 minutes. With 5 minutes left in the boil, I'll add my copper wort chiller into the wort. While I'm boiling/cooling the wort, I clean and sanitize everything. Everything in the post boil process is saturated in StarSan; bucket, lid, air lock, scissors, yeast package, hydrometer, graduated cylinder, and stainless mesh strainer. This is when I usually rehydrate my dry yeast. If I'm using liquid, I make a starter 36-48 hours in advance. I cool the wort to around the intended fermentation temp (66 degrees for the last batch). I drain the wort into a bucket through the stainless mesh strainer. This seems to aerate the wort fairly well. I then add the yeast and close it up and add StarSan to the airlock. I place the bucket in my basement which is currently 62 degrees ambient. I have a thermometer on top of the bucket for ambient temperature and a "stick on" lcd thermometer for approximate wort temperature. I also use an infrared thermometer to check the bucket temperature. The "stick on" thermometer and the infrared are always within 1 degree of each other. Currently this temperature is 4 degrees higher than ambient at 66 degrees. I check it once a day and make sure there are no swings in temperature. My basement is fairly consistent so I never expect any. After the fourth or fifth day, I'll bring the bucket up a level (I live in a quad level house) where the wort temperature raises to around 68 degrees. I then leave it as is for 4-5 weeks, I don't use a secondary. When it's time to keg, I completely disassemble the keg and clean and sanitize. I rack the beer into the keg avoiding any splashing. I take F.G. reading and it usually is spot on. Once the keg is full, I attach Co2 and then purge for 10-15 seconds. I place the keg into my fridge at 10 PSI and let it sit for a week. I've also force carbonated with the same results. With my last batch, the off-flavor was present going into the keg. That's it in a nut shell. I've also replaced buckets, airlocks, hoses, valves and many other things. The one thing I haven't done yet is add O2 to the wort. I've had great beer made by others without it so I don't know if it's completely necessary. See any glaring faults in my technique? Thanks for reading!

Someone might have said this already, but from your quote, it looks like your letting it sit on the yeast cake too long. I don't like anything over 3 wks tops. Also I recommend a full 90 minute boil for every batch but thats just me maybe. Good luck, and cheers!

Edit: Also, are you pitching enough yeast for the amount you are brewing?

Last edited:
Wow, you need to simplify, you have too many moving pieces. Does your beer really suck or are you just hard on yourself? Will other people drink it?

Recipes on the internet are quite dicey, I haven't been here too long and can see people that post recipes have about a 50% accuracy rate...

When I first started all grain, I just bought a few Northern Brewer kits and followed the directions in Beersmith. Their Chocolate Milk Stout is tasty as well as their Honey Brown Ale.

Why are you making a starter with dry yeast? They have enough glycogen to start fermentation without a starter. I would just buy enough yeast to pitch the right amount so you can take the variable of a starter out of the picture.

I would use tap or bottled water as well, messing with water chemistry is the last 1% of exceptional beer in my opinion.

It sounds like you have a swiss army knife and you want to play with all the tools since you have them. Simplify!

Hope it helps,
Chris

-Thanks for all the feedback!! I have been using my own R.O. system. I've only used a TDS meter to test and it's right around 002. The salt additions I add obviously depend on the beer I'm making. I couldn't tell you off hand as I'm at work but typically I pick a pre-loaded profile for a particular beer type. I usually add gypsum and calcium chloride. Sometimes I'll add lactic acid for an IPA and pickled lime for a stout. Regardless of the water though, I've always read, if the water tastes good, it will make good beer. Maybe not great, but good. My beer is far from that with spring or R.O. water. My buddies use tap water and have great results. I have bad results regardless of what water I use.
-I've used 7 or 8 different yeasts now, the only one I've had any success with is the yeast I harvested from Oberon. I made a raspberry wheat with it and it was good, probably my best yet. Go figure.. My batch that is fermenting now is a 2-hearted clone-ish with safe-ale 05. I thought I'd be better off using a yeast that's very forgiving.
-I'd love to get a stainless fermenter, but I don't want to spend much more money if I can't find the problem, it may be all for nothing. I also don't want to be the guy who spends $1500 on golf clubs and can't break 100.
-I've used two different tanks(5lb and 20lb) from 2 different suppliers to rule that out. I've even gone one step further and have my porters and stouts on beer gas to try and rule out carbonic bite. The hydro samples haven't been good either which rules all of the gas issues out.

Wow, you need to simplify, you have too many moving pieces. Does your beer really suck or are you just hard on yourself? Will other people drink it?

Recipes on the internet are quite dicey, I haven't been here too long and can see people that post recipes have about a 50% accuracy rate...

When I first started all grain, I just bought a few Northern Brewer kits and followed the directions in Beersmith. Their Chocolate Milk Stout is tasty as well as their Honey Brown Ale.

Why are you making a starter with dry yeast? They have enough glycogen to start fermentation without a starter. I would just buy enough yeast to pitch the right amount so you can take the variable of a starter out of the picture.

I would use tap or bottled water as well, messing with water chemistry is the last 1% of exceptional beer in my opinion.

It sounds like you have a swiss army knife and you want to play with all the tools since you have them. Simplify!

Hope it helps,
Chris

You need to go back and read all his replies.

1) other people have noticed the off flavors, but he admits to high expectations, but not getting close.
2) he has done solid recipes.
3) he has stated that he rehydrates dry yeast and makes starters with liquid yeast.
4) he has used bottled water as well as RO with adjustments. Messing with water chemistry is necessary when using RO water as the process strips the water of necessary minerals.
5) he has listed his processes and though he has the "swiss army knife" he seems to be using it properly.

A simplification might help lead to the problem though. For example: Doing a BIAB batch of a simple ale, limited malts and simple hopping schedule, using US05 rehydrated, 2 weeks primary in a new vessel, and bottling it.

But then again if you got good results that way and could not figure out why the difference, then went more complicated and got poor results, no progress would have been made.

I saw you mentioned you'd tried extract years ago, however, you could eliminate a lot of variable if you tried an extract batch. My suggestion is a full volume extract batch with store bought RO water. Use a well reviewed kit from a retailer with good turnover like MoreBeer, NB, or similar.

If this turns out bad, it's transfer or ferment, otherwise it's your mash process.

A couple things I noticed:
Personally, I give my immersion chiller a full 15 minutes of sanitization in the boil, 5 minutes is probably enough, but I'd try longer.
You say you purge your keg for 10-15 seconds. Do you do multiple purges or just one?

Everyone that tries it agrees that there is a definite bad off flavor? None of them have had any idea what it might be?

Edit: didn't realize this went 10 pages. nvm

Is someone near mprowland?

If you send me a few bottles I'll give it a go and take it to our clubs' master bjcp judge and have him taste it.

I see a couple of possible issues in the procedure you describe. Both are minor things, and might not be it.

Firstly, 5-6 weeks in an ale pail is a rather long time. For most ale yeasts, fermentation is done in 5 days to 2 weeks, and nothing is really gained by leaving the beer sitting for more than a few days after final gravity is reached (or dry hopping for 5 days or so is done). Bucket fermenters are somewhat oxygen permeable, and leaving the beer sitting for up to 5 weeks after fermentation stops opens the possibility of oxidation.

Secondly, and this one is a long shot, I don't see anything about acidifying the sparge water. I don't think this is usually an issue with batch sparging, but with fly sparging tannin extraction can be an issue if the sparge water's pH is greater than 6.0. With low alkalinity RO water, and batch sparging, I doubt that this is an issue, but maybe with salt additions it could be?

I guess it might help to post a full recipe, including salts addition for one or two of your brews (preferably one of the ones you think was worst for this, and maybe one that didn't suffer as well), just in case there's something you are misunderstanding there.

OP - if you really want to get to the bottom of this, you really need to go to the link I put on the first page. Check out the 2-3 home-brew clubs that are in your area. Find out if there are experienced BJCP judges in those clubs.... go to a couple meetings and see if you can't ask one of the members about your beer.

Just be up front with them and tell them: "I know there is something wrong with my beer. I don't want you to spare my feelings - just give me the truth and any advice or thoughts you have."

I don't think you are going to get to the bottom of it in this thread. There are dozens of variables being thrown around. Tasting descriptions are just too vague. You need someone experienced to taste it and be honest with you.

It should be relatively easy to determine the first question - is it an infection problem. From there, a good BJCP judge is going to be able to give you some likely areas to focus on.

Track down a homebrew club - especially if one of them has people that routinely enter competitions, hold competitions, judge, etc.

There has to be some folks you can find in your area. If not, you can find some BJCP folks on the forum that are in the midwest I would think that you could send a couple bottles to that should be able to give you an honest and useful insight.

I think I have read through most of this....agree with Braufessor..find a club. Also, I had an issue last year when I changed my Kegging process. I started doing 3 gallon batches and kegging same way as 5 gallon batches - long story short To much O2 in kegs and during transfer, all beers had an off taste due to O2, stale, cardboard, the O2 can also lead to acetaldehyde that was not their previously....anyway I would highly recommend reviewing your transfer and kegging process. 5 weeks in bucket is probably allowing O2 in....try to purge kegs with CO2 prior to filling then burp the heck out of em....just my 2 cents..

A great thread. I love how everyone is chiming in on helping the OP out. That's what the brewing community has over other "business's".

That said, (shameless but helpful plug), I am half of a growing podcast called Brewnology. Myself and my co-host Jason are both BJCP ranked judges and avid homebrewers. We present knowledge on brewing as well as advice on BJCP guidelines.

I think maybe the OP will find some of our podcasts helpful. Personally I think maybe this is leaning towards a balance of technique and water as the primary issues. But, that said, if the OP wants to send us a few bottles for sample and review we would be happy to give our opinions and advice on how to fix it. That's what our podcast is about, helping others brew better beer and understand it once you have it.

If the OP is interested, just send me a PM and I will get you the info. Otherwise, happy brewing and hang in there, you'll get through this. Heck, if you have made 30+ batches so far and "they are all bad" and you haven't given up yet....you're hooked :).

I don't think my water is to blame, I've purchased numerous types of spring water with poor results. I've only recently started using reverse osmosis. I think focusing on that is going down the wrong path considering the 20+ bad batches I've had with bottled spring water.

OP - if you really want to get to the bottom of this, you really need to go to the link I put on the first page. Check out the 2-3 home-brew clubs that are in your area. Find out if there are experienced BJCP judges in those clubs.... go to a couple meetings and see if you can't ask one of the members about your beer.

Just be up front with them and tell them: "I know there is something wrong with my beer. I don't want you to spare my feelings - just give me the truth and any advice or thoughts you have."

I don't think you are going to get to the bottom of it in this thread. There are dozens of variables being thrown around. Tasting descriptions are just too vague. You need someone experienced to taste it and be honest with you.

It should be relatively easy to determine the first question - is it an infection problem. From there, a good BJCP judge is going to be able to give you some likely areas to focus on.

Track down a homebrew club - especially if one of them has people that routinely enter competitions, hold competitions, judge, etc.

There has to be some folks you can find in your area. If not, you can find some BJCP folks on the forum that are in the midwest I would think that you could send a couple bottles to that should be able to give you an honest and useful insight.

I believe this is the best coarse of action. This is why I asked of a place where I could send a couple of bottles in the original post. From my very first batch of oatmeal stout over two years ago, I've been trying to troubleshoot this problem. I've also spent countless hours researching on this site trying to find answers. This has led me deep down the rabbit hole exposing many moving parts, many that shouldn't or don't need to be moving. I've seen enough people brew and have had people watch me brew, seems like any glaring issues would have surfaced. The quickest way to fix this is to have others try it who know what to look for. If for some reason they can't fix it, I'll try a batch of extract to rule out my mashing process.

30 batches and all just barely drinkable - that actually seems pretty tough to do. I think that's why so many keep coming back to water - though that should have been addressed with RO and proper additions (I'd still like to see a full recipe will all additions to confirm it's not calculation error). And glad you dropped the 5.2 stabilizer. I agree it would really help if someone knowledgeable could taste these beers and figure out what we're troubleshooting, otherwise the shooting in the dark will just continue.

This may sound crazy, ask someone to brew on their equipment. Fermenters and all, maybe even use their keg just to see if removing all your equipment has the same results.

Here's something that I haven't seen yet in this thread:

Do you clean your immersion chiller before you throw it in the kettle? Wort is acidic and will strip off some of the crud that builds up on copper when it sits for a while. I let my chiller sit in starsan for a minute or two before dropping it in the kettle. Though I typically drop it in after flameout, so I don't use the boiling temps to sanitize.

Here's something that I haven't seen yet in this thread:

Do you clean your immersion chiller before you throw it in the kettle? Wort is acidic and will strip off some of the crud that builds up on copper when it sits for a while. I let my chiller sit in starsan for a minute or two before dropping it in the kettle. Though I typically drop it in after flameout, so I don't use the boiling temps to sanitize.

I have never done this. I make about 2-3(5-gallon)batches a month and it doesn't get the green corrosion, but it doesn't look shiny either.

Here is a screenshot of my Bru'n water profile. I doubt the water has been the issue this whole time, but maybe I'm further compounding the issue by making a profile that's incorrect.

BruN.jpg

And glad you dropped the 5.2 stabilizer.

Why? I have heard mostly good things about this and a couple of bad thing from self claimed 'biologists and chemists'. It may be true, but I try to take everything with a grain of salt (ha!); even the positive reviews

I currently use this to aid in helping me with mash ph.. I recently just bought ph strips and i've only used them once, I think my mash ph was around 5.0 (IIRC).. my beers are okay, nothing special. usually the aroma is pretty good, but the taste is whats usually lacking. im assuming this is due to the water content, ph, and mash ph.

anywho, sorry! not trying to make this thread about me, I am just curious why you don't like the 5.2 stuff

I'm sure someone will pick on some aspect of the water profile, but I think it's very reasonable and avoids any extremes. Plus 5.5 pH is ideal for a dark beer.

Seems like the water is not where you should be looking first.

Is this my pesky glob of a liver trying to play mind tricks with me???

Hopefully not. Haha!

After finishing the thread...I'm with the ones that think less time in the fermenter. Plastic buckets would really expose your beer to a lot of oxygen at four-five weeks. Taste a hydrometer sample at two weeks. No off flavor then oxidation.

I have never done this. I make about 2-3(5-gallon)batches a month and it doesn't get the green corrosion, but it doesn't look shiny either.

I think I saw before you only have in the boil for 5 minutes. I let mine go for the last 15 minutes of the boil before starting the chiller.

I do notice that my O.G. hydro sample ferments just as fast from wild yeast as my closed bucket does. It seems to make a decent sour!

I assume this is with an open container, but it still seems odd that it would have that much wild yeast drop into it. I think it would be worthwhile to take extra care with sanitation and put the sample into a clear beer bottle or other container that can be sealed/air locked. Check it, and see if it ferments without adding yeast.

Do you handle your crushed grains any place where dust could contaminate the fermenter or anything else on the cold side? I got an infection once that I traced to grain dust, and bleaching the equipment didn't kill it. I had to replace the fermenter bucket and hoses.

After reading this whole thread, I think I'm on Team Oxidation. Try no more than 3 weeks in the fermentor, replace your racking cane (Auto-Siphon?) and tubing, and if the tubing isn't snug use a hose clamp. If during transfer you notice bubbles near the cane/tubing connection you might (probably) have a small leak which could be oxidizing your beer.

Do you use an auto-siphon, or a plain racking cane? If a racking cane, how do you start your siphon? Either way, get a new Auto-Siphon with very snug tubing and a hose clamp if necessary.

Flush your keg with CO2 slowly, from the liquid-out post (flush from the bottom up), then purge the head space again before and after installing the lid. A little OCD, and wastes CO2, but it seems you could benefit from wasteful OCD at the moment.

Another thing you could try is. (and I hope I did not miss this if it was already suggested)

You and a friend Brew the same exact beer. Everything the same. Only difference is:

You take his wort and ferment it and he takes your wort and ferment it.

If it is in your fermentation or keg/bottling it will show. If you still have the bad beer then you know it is in your fermentation or bottling. If he makes the bad beer and you dont then you know it is in your Mash or boil.

You should be able to figue out exactly where the issue is occurring. It sounds like you have one single thing because it is the same off flavor every time.

Just a thought. Hope you find the issue!!

I admit that I didn't read the last page of posts, but have you tried your buddies water? Also, how about your cooling process? How long does it take you to cool?

Why? I have heard mostly good things about this and a couple of bad thing from self claimed 'biologists and chemists'. It may be true, but I try to take everything with a grain of salt (ha!); even the positive reviews

I currently use this to aid in helping me with mash ph.. I recently just bought ph strips and i've only used them once, I think my mash ph was around 5.0 (IIRC).. my beers are okay, nothing special. usually the aroma is pretty good, but the taste is whats usually lacking. im assuming this is due to the water content, ph, and mash ph.

anywho, sorry! not trying to make this thread about me, I am just curious why you don't like the 5.2 stuff

One concern is it has a lot of sodium, which may not be a good thing for flavor depending on your water. But also it doesn't seem to necessarily do what it's supposed to (not referencing self proclaimed anything here, but actual water experts who have authored many articles and publications regarding brewing - for example see Martin's comments here about 5.2 product in section 2 about pH).

If you make good beer not great, and they seem to be lacking in taste, I would definitely recommend learning a bit about water and how to properly manage pH and additions as they relate to flavor. It has defnitely helped my beers for the better and there are lots of testaments to that around.

Sorry OP
:off:

wait. no. I never tasted a good homebrewed hefeweizen. wathever the yeast, the fermentation temperature, weizen always have problems when homemade. it's the most difficult style to brew at home, not really a basic one...

Man, I'm glad someone else read that and thought "are you freaking kidding me?"

So I got exhausted reading through the first few pages and skimmed over the rest, I didn't see this covered, so apologies if it's been covered already.

One thing that stuck out in my mind, outside of a reasonable solid process (albeit less than ideal temp control, but you monitor it well so I doubt that's your issue), is the fermenter time.

Would any of these flavors describe what you're talking about: meaty, sausage, brothy, umami? I often perceive it as cheap sausage (think cheap pizza topping), but brothy is a common descriptor. We're talking a savory, meatish character.

I notice it in most beers left in the fermenter a significant amount of time after fermentation is over. I read when I started that yeast autolysis produced rancid and burnt rubber character, and then believed what many do, that autolysis was a boogeyman that never happened to homebrew. Then I learned that it would often present (in less severe cases), as a meat, brothy, umami character, or like vitamin B. A lightbulb clicked. I started noticing it in most of my beers that spend too long in the fermenter, and others as well.

After reading this whole thread, I think I'm on Team Oxidation. Try no more than 3 weeks in the fermentor, replace your racking cane (Auto-Siphon?) and tubing, and if the tubing isn't snug use a hose clamp. If during transfer you notice bubbles near the cane/tubing connection you might (probably) have a small leak which could be oxidizing your beer.

Do you use an auto-siphon, or a plain racking cane? If a racking cane, how do you start your siphon? Either way, get a new Auto-Siphon with very snug tubing and a hose clamp if necessary.

Flush your keg with CO2 slowly, from the liquid-out post (flush from the bottom up), then purge the head space again before and after installing the lid. A little OCD, and wastes CO2, but it seems you could benefit from wasteful OCD at the moment.

I have to admit, many of my beers in the past have been good in the hydrometer post fermentation, but bad in the keg. (My last few haven't been good anywhere, but that may be from my switch to R.O or fermentation temperatures.) I actually switched to a different Co2 tank and replaced all of the tubing because of this. I use a plain ole' racking cane. I've also never purged an empty keg with Co2, I've only burped it when full. I will look into an auto-siphon.
Once my beer starts fermenting, it only sees the "air" once; when I transfer to a keg. I'm fairly careful not to splash. Could this transfer be enough to cause this off flavor? Do I transfer to a secondary after 3 weeks or just use the keg as a secondary? Thanks again!

Once my beer starts fermenting, it only sees the "air" once; when I transfer to a keg. I'm fairly careful not to splash. Could this transfer be enough to cause this off flavor?
Yes, especially if you have a poor seal between the cane and tubing, but still very possible with a good seal.
Do I transfer to a secondary after 3 weeks or just use the keg as a secondary? Thanks again!
3-week primary straight into keg or bottle.

Back