Still bubbling in secondary. Keg it or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hifidelity

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch (Northern Brewer's Caribou Slobber Brown Ale) a month ago tomorrow, so it should be going in the keg tomorrow. Problem is- it's still bubbling pretty regularly (once every 30 seconds or so) in the secondary fermenter. Since this is my first batch I'm wondering if that's common and I should go ahead and keg it, or if I should wait until the fermentation stops.

Here's a little more info- It stayed in primary for 2 weeks, but fermentation appeared to stall after about 5 or 6 days in primary. According to the fermometer it got to about 78 degrees during this time (too hot, I know...). I got the temp under control, and racked to secondary and it's been bubbling away ever since. Right now it has a half dozen or so large bubbles on top of the brew- a half inch to three quarters in diameter.

A little advice would be very much appreciated, if nothing else than to calm this noob's nerves.

I would say that your fermentation ended a couple weeks ago. You should be checking the gravity before transferring. It is now probably just releasing excess co2 from solution.

If you are concerned take a gravity reading tonight then take another one on Sunday. If they are the same, fermentation is finished. As far as safe, bottling too early could cause bottle bombs, an increase in co2 beyond what is wanted and enough to explode the bottle. This is not a great concern with kegging, you would not get enough pressure to explode the keg. You could get over carbonation but you could bleed that off.

Go ahead with your kegging. And hope for the best due to the high fermentation temperatures.

Latest posts

Back