Still Active

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davida

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am on my third batch of homebrew, a maibock variant. I am on the sixth day in the primary and I still see activity. The vapor lock clicks once every 6 - 7 seconds but final gravity is in range. I plan to rack to my secondary and lager for three weeks before bottling. Can I do so while still seeing this kind of activity?

Once you have the same gravity three days in a row, you'll know that fermentation is done. Something is def still coming out, could be off gassing, could be fermentation, who knows, other than your hydrometer....

VTBrewer speaks the truth, take a reading to find out if it's finished. I would not rack until the gravity is were it is suppose to be. Yeast does what it wants and doesn't read calendars so it really doesn't care about your timetable. :)

Probably not, I find it easiest to just leave mine in the primary for 4 weeks and rack from there. I have 2 6.5 gal carboys and I have the blowoff hose on for the first 2 weeks and then the airlock on for more 2 weeks. That way I know the fermentation is done and it's had some time to age. the only way to be sure the fermentation is done is with a hydrometer, though, it really is one of the most important tools a brewer can have.

Yesterday's gravity was 1.028 down from the OG of 1.076. I'm looking for 1.020.
My primary fermenter is a plastic bucket. Is there any issue leaving the beer in plastic for a few days before racking to my glass secondary?

Yesterday's gravity was 1.028 down from the OG of 1.076. I'm looking for 1.020.
My primary fermenter is a plastic bucket. Is there any issue leaving the beer in plastic for a few days before racking to my glass secondary?

No

Leave it in the primary for at least a week longer, even after you've hit your target F.G. The yeast will continue to clean up after themselves and make for a much better tasting final product. I've left my last 3 or 4 batches in primary for about 3-4 weeks.

Back