Stevia stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonPascal

Reaction score
I want to make a milk stout, but some of my friends are lactose intolerent. Can I replace lactose with Stevia?

It would make it sweeter. Add 5oz Stevia to the whole batch and add .5 lb of oats to the mash.

Post fermentation, if you want it sweeter, add more stevia in a simple syrup form.

I'd go with an oatmeal stout that had a little extra low-lovibond caramel in it. You can mash a little high if you want extra body. WY1335 makes for great mouthfeel in a stout, although I wouldn't necessarily rush out and spend 8 bucks on it if you had no other plans for it.

I am rewritting my first all grain beer recipe. It's a Maple Syrup(blackstrap) Stout, I am adding oat in it and I want to add sweetness to it. Stevia seems like the best alternative. Blackstrap maple syrup is made with the last water sap of the season. It take longer to boil to get the syrup so it becomes black.

So I know a guy who put lactose in his beer. I don't want lactose because of some of my friend that are lactose intolerent. Stevia may save the day. Can I dry hop dried stevia leaves?

So I know a guy who put lactose in his beer. I don't want lactose because of some of my friend that are lactose intolerent. Stevia may save the day. Can I dry hop dried stevia leaves?

I'm lactose intolerant and am interested in using Oats/Maltodextrin/Higher Mash Temps or all of the above to get that mouth feel. Then using a little Stevia to add the sweet back, what about adding the leaves to the last 5 minute of the boil?

It was too hot and dry this summer so my plants died, I'm thinking of using a Stevia and Maltodextrin power in half a batch of stout to try it out.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00068PCTU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Keithww said:
I'm lactose intolerant and am interested in using Oats/Maltodextrin/Higher Mash Temps or all of the above to get that mouth feel. Then using a little Stevia to add the sweet back, what about adding the leaves to the last 5 minute of the boil?

It was too hot and dry this summer so my plants died, I'm thinking of using a Stevia and Maltodextrin power in half a batch of stout to try it out.

http://www.amazon.com/NuNaturals-Nustevia-Stevia-Maltodextrin-12-Ounce/dp/B00068PCTU/

Fermebtable sugar add alchool and little flavor. Add malt and more grains you will also add flavors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I backsweeten my wine and hard tea with stevia.. I think it's the "best stevia" brand that is liquid that I use.. for a semi sweet in 5 gallons I only use about 2ml for a sweet 4ml.. I've used too much before and you get a notable metallic chemical taste :mug:

I'm lactose intolerant too. Just poor more beer on it. Geesh, it's not like you're poisoning people, so they get a tummy ache or the runs or whatever....welcome to drinking beers. Tell your friends to suck it up. Better yet, tell them it's lactose free and see how they feel the next day...chances are they'll be fine.

Bumping this up in hope that anyone can comment on Stevia as a substitute for Lactose...

Not on my PC, but I have a thread on my test with Stevia, ended up metallic and bitter, was very glad I only did it to 2 of the 5 gallons.

Thank you, this is helpful. I bought a small bottle of Stevia and tasted a drop straight and I can see why your brew ended up tasting like that. I think I'll look for other alternatives...

Back