Sterliziation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billism

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post. I am new to this forum as well as home brewing. I just started my first batch yesterday. 5 gallons of bock from malt extracts. The airlock was bubbling nicely this morning. =)

My question is this: What is the easiest way to sterilize 52 bottles? I have a 21qt enamel-surfaced kettle I can use to boil. Is that the way to go?

Thanks!

If your bottles are clean, just soak them in your favorite sanitizing solution (iodophor, bleach, one-step, etc) in a five gallon bucket. No need to boil.

PS: Welcome aboard! I think you'll find more of your kind here (Texan) ;)

He Mr Turtlehead. Thanks for the reply.

So after cleaning the bottles with a bleach/water solution, it should be fine to rinse them out with warm tap water?

soak bottles with cold water and bleach. soak 1/2 hour or so or more. rinse well with hot water and don't touch the lips from that point forward.

billism said:
So after cleaning the bottles with a bleach/water solution, it should be fine to rinse them out with warm tap water?
You could do this, and many people have no problems doing it this way...however, you are not sanitizing your bottles. Run over to Defalcos (it's about 15 minutes from you) and get some iodophor...a two minute soak, no rinsing, and you won't have to worry anymore about sanitation.

El Pistolero said:
You could do this, and many people have no problems doing it this way...however, you are not sanitizing your bottles. Run over to Defalcos (it's about 15 minutes from you) and get some iodophor...a two minute soak, no rinsing, and you won't have to worry anymore about sanitation.

Cool, thanks. Yea, that's teh place I go tmy supplies from.

Back