Step Mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbey

Reaction score
I am brewing a marzen this weekend. Some of the lager recipies I see call for step mashing, others don't.

Does step mashing only improve efficiency? Or does it change the profile of the beer when compared to a single temp mash?

Alan

I am brewing a marzen this weekend. Some of the lager recipies I see call for step mashing, others don't.

Does step mashing only improve efficiency? Or does it change the profile of the beer when compared to a single temp mash?

Alan

Check this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neat video. The science is beyond my comprehension at this point. I pretty much slept through science course in HS and college :( . But I am off the find part 2 of this video. Thanks!

But I am talking about a basic step mash which is quite different (I think) than a decoction. IE; mash at 140F for 30 minutes and then 158F for 30 minutes. What is that doing for me, and how does it effect the finished product??

Alan

Latest posts

Back