Step Feeding vs SNA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Safa

Reaction score
Hi guys, about to venture into my first mead, I'm trying a 1 gallon version of this guy.

Question:

I'm having trouble deciding between step feeding the honey as described in the recipe, or just adding it all at the beginning and then staggering the nutrient additions along with aeration.

I've read extensively on both topics so no need to teach me about what they are, just give me your opinions on the two options.

Thanks!

Well they are two different things.

Staggered nutrients - Sounds liek you read up on it. DO THAT ALWAYS* < That's a good rule. *I'd say always do that unless you're doing a hydromel (~7% and then you can front-load all the nutrients since you'll probably hit a 1/3 break before you can finish your SNA)

Step feeding. - This is where you add honey to the fermenter gradually as to not cause too much osmotic (too high of a gravity) stress on the yeast. I would look at step feeding meads when going over 3.5 pounds of honey per gallon. You should definitely use staggered nutrients if a recipe calls for step feeding.

Step feeding honey is never a bad thing. It only helps but the less total honey you are using the less the return is on your added effort. So of going more than 3lb per gallon then it is well recommended but less than that and any benefit is little and not as noticed.

For SNA... Always do it. It just works better that way.

Roger, I'll go ahead with doing both.

Appreciate the input guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back