Steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richievrs

Reaction score
What is the minimum amount of water you can use to steep 1kg of crystal 60 I want to add this to a coopers IPA kit, but want it to be cool enough to pitch the yeast when I top up to 23l

1kg equals 2.2lbs. Forgive me, I'm an American and allergic to the metric system, LOL! When I steep specialty grains I avoid a dilute steep by using a 1-3qt water per pound of specialty grains. I typically go to the higher end and use 3 qt/lb.

You're asking for the least amount you can get away with, so that would be 1qt/lb, or 2L/kg.

Thanks for the reply this my first time using grains I hope it turns out ok! I'm from Ireland and love America been there on holidays a few times.

I'm sure it will be just fine! What I do when I steep specialty grains is to place them in a grain bag and steep them in a separate pot while I'm heating the water in my main boil kettle (I heat it to 65˚C and hold there for the time being, you'll see why in a second). I steep the specialty grains at the ratios I posted previously at 150˚F (65˚C) for 20-25 minutes. Then I remove the grain bag and place it in a strainer hanging over the main boil kettle. Then I use a measuring cup to remove 4L/kg of the 65˚C water from the main boil kettle and add it to the grain "tea" that I just made. Then I pour that whole thing over the grains in the strainer into the boil kettle to rinse as much of the goodness out of them. Then I continue on with the boil. Sounds like a lot the way I typed it out, but once you do you'll see how simple it is. Best of luck to you!

I heat the water to 165, drop my grain bag in, stir to wet everything completely then put the whole thing with a lid in a 150F preheated oven and set the timer for 30 min.

Gives me time to get the boil going and all the other crap organized without having to watch my steeping grains.

EDIT: I LOVED drinking Guinness in Cork, a beautiful place.

1 KG of crystal malt? Are you sure? That's a ton of crystal malt. While, not literally, of course, as it's 1 KG but it's about 2.5 times the amount you'd want to use.

You should use no more than about a pound, which is a little less than .5 KG, but for an IPA even less would be better.

This my IPA i just double up a coopers IPA recipe to get around 7.5% ABV. They said to steep 500g so I went for 1kgs should I stay with 500g

3.4 kgs coopers IPA
1 kg of muntons plain light DME
1 kgs crystal 60 to steep
30g of fuggles to dry hop for a week
S 04 yeast

Thanks for all your help I am learning more every day

I ❤ BEER

After reading a bit I have a question. I have a wide pot, which makes me add more water when steeping. Did it hurt anything if I steeped carapils in 2 gallons of water?

Back