steeping temp too low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardBrew

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I messed up my steeping temperature and didn't realize until after the boil. I brewed an IPA from an extract kit, asking to steep grains for 30min at 150 - 160F. I was busy drinking a home brew :drunk: and wasn't paying attention well enough and ending up steeping for 30 minutes at about 135-140F.

Would you anticipate any issues with this?

Hardbrew:

You may have a very slight loss of flavor that you would get from the grains, but that is about it. You most likely won't notice any differences. At least you didn't steep too high, then you'd have problems.

You will be fine, I've even met the odd person who does cold steeping.

Yeah, some people actually let their grains soak in cold water overnight because their so paranoid about releasing tannins by steeping in hot water. With actual steeping grains your not mashing, so temperature isn't nearly as critical, as long as the water is warm but not boiling your beer will turn out fine.

With steeping the grains, all you are after is the color from the grains, not so much the goodies (fermentables). Like the rest said, you will be fine.

Thanks!! Once again you all are very helpful and you put this noobie at ease!

Back