Steeping roast grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarBrau

Reaction score
After brewing today, I realized I used the wrong amount of chocolate malt and needed to add some to the fermenter. Rather than steeping, I poured boiling water on the malt (4 ounces chocolate malt) and let it steep in a french press. After a while I added it (stained through a filter) to the fermenter. I realize now that I likely extracted tannins. Will it be noticeable with that small amount of grain?

Relax, tannin extraction from dark grains is highly unlikely. They're quite acidic, so unless your water is loaded with bicarbonates the pH was well under 5.8. The water also cooled when added to the grains and container.

I prefer steeping dark grains at lower temps, around 140-150F and add the potion to the kettle when the wort has cooled to around 160-165 to pasteurize. That way it never gets boiled yielding a smoother flavor.

as stated, dark grains such as that the tanins are kinda destroyed by the roasting process

Now remember, this is a hobby, you are in a learning curve to get better
If you flub up, so what, drink it after a few good beers when you have less resolve to drink good beer, if it comes out ok, you worried about nothing.

but most important, ask advice, you see most of us who are going answer have made all the mistakes ourselves. We do not fear admitting some very embarrassing mistakes.

You see, it is a hobby, and being a hobby we are allowed to totally F*&^ up our S&#% and S$%#@ up our F*(&(&^ beer, and learn not to do that again. plus sometimes it is still drinkable, after a few good beers.

So relax, finish the beer, and remember, make a check list before each brew so you do not forget anything.

Latest posts

Back