Steeping grains round two?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirHC_

Reaction score
I'm curious on how extract people have reused steeping grains in brewing. I've made bread and dog treats. What else?
AG brewers can get two mashes if they do a parti gyle or just do a second/third steep and rinse when they batch sparge. Can I batch sparge my 1-2 lbs specialty grains and make something yummy?
Base malt for a 1g braggot?
Use the specialty barly to convert some rice and/or corn for a 1g cream ale/table beer?
Other ideas?

After a good steep and sparge, there's not much left in those grains. It makes good bread though.

Are you saying you haven't sparged your specialty grain? You should. At least give the bag a good squeeze.

To convert (non-diastatic) adjuncts like rice and corn you need to mash with a diastatic malt, which contains enzymes. Most specialty malts do not have any diastatic power left after the kilning process. To mash you need at least a part of your grist to be a base malt, like 2-row, pale, pilsner, wheat, rye, etc. which will give you the needed enzymes for starch conversion.

How to Brew - All Grain Beer. This also applies to partial mashes.

I would assume the steeping grains are pretty much spent after steeping. Ballpark average for a 5 gallon batch using about 10 lbs of grain, at the end of the sparge to collect boil volume, runnings are less than 1.020 for me.

I would assume steeping grains are typically crystal or other darker malts, so they would not have as much fermentable sugars as base malts. You could always try re-steeping your grains afterward and compare the worts of 1st and 2nd to see if you think it is worth pursuing another small batch from the second running. Make sure you have some base malts or base extract on hand though.

I haven't been sparging steeping grains, but I'll start. I was under the impression that squeezing the bag would make the end product cloudy and hard to clear?

Didn't consider the specialty grains would lose their diastatic power w kilning, makes total sense.

I haven't been sparging steeping grains, but I'll start. I was under the impression that squeezing the bag would make the end product cloudy and hard to clear?

Didn't consider the specialty grains would lose their diastatic power w kilning, makes total sense.

Having never done all-grain, I don't even know what sparging is (Excuse my ignorance), but after the rinse, I always put the grain sack in the colander and squeeze the last dregs out for maximum OG, (probably only helps in my head, but...).
I have no issues with cloudiness, and have never had any complaints either.

Brewed two kits of session pale ale from homebrew supply on Tuesday night, each came w 8oz of specialty grains, crisp crystal 45. One will be Amarillo dry hopped as per the recipe, the other I'm swapping Citra, should both be good.
Anyway, steeped the grains 25 min, rinsed in another kettle of 170 water and set them aside in a container in the fridge. Next day I mashed them in 64 oz of water on my stove at around 165 for 70 min. Drained, and rinsed them with another 64oz to get to my final volume of 1 gallon. Hydrometer said 1.010 at 70 degrees at this point. Added another 64oz water brought to a boil, added 1lb extra light DME, and did a 60 min boil with .25 oz Columbus at 60 and 5. Cooled in a snow water bath to 70 and of was 1.041 at 1.25 gallons.
Fermenting in my basement now along with the 10 gallons of pale ale!

11 gallons of beer with krausen!

IMG_20161222_123936640.jpg

Spent grain is good for plenty of things. Here is a little thread you might want to start with. Doing some google searches for spent grain recipes should give you some ideas.

I dry it, grind it into something like a flour, and I use it in pizza dough. Waffles are good too. I'm still working on a spent grain bread recipe. I also want to try spent grain in cinnamon rolls. You want to make sure that whatever food you include spent grain in that it isn't too dry when you go to eat it, hence why adding syrup or pizza sauce works so well. I've heard that spent grain cookies are decent as well, but I think it might be too dry for my liking.

Anyway, steeped the grains 25 min, rinsed in another kettle of 170 water and set them aside in a container in the fridge. Next day I mashed them in 64 oz of water on my stove at around 165 for 70 min. Drained, and rinsed them with another 64oz to get to my final volume of 1 gallon. Hydrometer said 1.010 at 70 degrees at this point.

Just to clarify your terminology you weren't mashing but steeping a second time, there would have been no enzymatic activity with crystal malt. I'm surprised you got anything out of them, but it might be that your initial steep isnt' that great. I'd try to make sure your grains are not packed in too tightly in the steeping bag.
:mug:

Just to clarify your terminology you weren't mashing but steeping a second time, there would have been no enzymatic activity with crystal malt. I'm surprised you got anything out of them, but it might be that your initial steep isnt' that great. I'd try to make sure your grains are not packed in too tightly in the steeping bag.
:mug:

Correct, not mashing, just steeping. I used the muslin bag that came w the kit in the original 5 gallon brew. Do I need to just spring for a reusable mesh bag?

Correct, not mashing, just steeping. I used the muslin bag that came w the kit in the original 5 gallon brew. Do I need to just spring for a reusable mesh bag?

If you bought a 5 gallon paint strainer bag (about $4 for a pair at Home Depot) that had an elastic top that would stretch over your kettle rim you could use that for steeping as it would let the grains have plenty of contact to extract the color and flavor from your specialty grains. Then when you decide to try all grain (not nearly as intimidating as I thought) you could use that for a half size batch in the kettle you have, no additional equipment needed. That's kind of how I got started with all grain and I still do mostly the 2 1/2 gallon batches because I can make a batch quickly and I don't have 50 bottles to drink if I screw up the recipe (hasn't happened yet, but it still might.:p). :ban::mug:

I have tried to partygyle an all grain mash a couple of times with pretty much weak results. I now just throw my grains in my compost heap. One 5 gallon batch will give me more grain to use in bread than I would need for a whole year.

Back