Steeping Grains Ground to powder...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japa2121

Reaction score
I was planning on running a northern brewer witbier extract kit this weekend, but wanted to do a blue moon clone. I found a recipe that called for this:

6.6 lbs wheat LME (only thing in kit)

Steeping: (bought these at local shop)
1 lb 2 row
1 lb wheat malt
1 lb flaked oats

I bought the malt and oats and decided to try and crush the malt last night. I got lazy and used a coffee grinder and now most of the malt is powder, can I still throw it in or should i just not even bother with it?

Summary:
Ground steeping grains to a powder, can I use them? Or just hold off and buy some ground from my LHBS.

You can sure try but grinding the grains that fine will most likely cause them to either cause a stuck sparge if you mashed them in mash tun or if you do BIAB the grains most likely will come out of the holes. If you have a fine enough bag to hold them in it might work out for you.

I don't see any problem with using them. It's not ideal but most stuff settles out once you ferment anyways. It should still taste good.

Get to your local brew shop and get the finest mesh bag(s) you can and you might be able to get away with this. While you're there maybe get another 8-16oz of 6-row for the enzymes you'll need to convert your adjuncts.

It might be ok to try to just mash with them and hope for the best, but I don't think you want a lot of grain in the boil or in primary. If you have access to some good mesh bags I don't see a reason not to use them.

One problem that could potentially arise if the husks are ground to powder as well and escape through your steeping bag is tannin extraction during the boil.

I asked a similar question at my LHBS only about using my vitamix grain mill and the resounding answer was, no. Well actually they said sure you can, if you want to make dough, but it is not easy to wash flavor or fermentable sugar out of bread dough.

If you are cash strapped or the local shop isn't so "local" then give it a try. It will most likely prove to be MUCH more trouble than its worth. I'm sure that with enough patience and effort you could turn out a decent beer.

But for the amount of work and the price of a pound of grain, I would suggest getting another pound of malt. You might also ask if they will grind it, most homebrew shops are set up to grind it for you.

Either way let us know how it turns out. :mug:

I would just buy the grains again and mill them properly. That looks like $5 worth of grains. Not worth wasting the rest of your ingredients over $5.

I do BIAB and use a blender to "power" my grain. Works like a champ. No Tannins that I can taste. Spent $7 for the blender at GOODWILL.

I spray all my malts with soem water to wet them before grinding. Not too much though or they dont crush. But it really cuts down on flour production

Latest posts

Back