Steel coffee "kegs"... any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTim559

Reaction score
I work at a kitchen supply place and we do a lot of coffee demos and samples. We get out beans in these steel containers and when we use the beans up we toss them. Could these possibly be used for homebrewing? Ghetto conical fermenters?

yjHbM.jpg

fJMd2.jpg

What is the size? Looks like about 5 lbs of coffee, maybe 5 liters. Are you sure they're stainless?

What is the size? Looks like about 5 lbs of coffee, maybe 5 liters. Are you sure they're stainless?

I know its not aluminum (tested with a magnet). As for the size, all it says is 6.61lbs of beans. I would guess perhaps 2 gallons or slightly under.

I am working on putting together a BIAB set-up where I want to do lots of smaller batches (2-3 gallons) and I was thinking these might make for good fermenters.

Should I be worried about any kind of coating on the inside?

edit: 6.61lbs not 6

3 kg cans... My guess is that they are aluminum, which is not magnetic so a magnet test wouldn't tell you much. I'm also guessing they are coated on the outside with nickel or chrome to give a shiny appearance, and probably coated on the inside with some type of a polymer to preserve freshness. It would be very unusual for coffee to be packed directly into steel as any metal will impart flavors. I wouldn't use these for brewing personally. You should nick one with a file to see what the metal looks like under the coating.

3 kg cans... My guess is that they are aluminum, which is not magnetic so a magnet test wouldn't tell you much. I'm also guessing they are coated on the outside with nickel or chrome to give a shiny appearance, and probably coated on the inside with some type of a polymer to preserve freshness. It would be very unusual for coffee to be packed directly into steel as any metal will impart flavors. I wouldn't use these for brewing personally. You should nick one with a file to see what the metal looks like under the coating.

I assumed if the magnet did stick to it (which it did) it wasn't aluminum. What should I look for when I nick one? Are there any coatings that would be safe to use? Is their a cleaning or sanitizing solution that I can put inside to see if would hold up?

Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for your help.

I imagine these would be decent for grain storage??? Would you mind sending me a couple, I would love to give them a test drive...???

I imagine these would be decent for grain storage??? Would you mind sending me a couple, I would love to give them a test drive...???

I was thinking that worst case scenario I could use them for grain. I have 5 of them and could get more every couple weeks. If you pay shipping I will think about it :mug:

Tin was my first guess, but I misunderstood and thought that you said the magnet did not stick. In that case it is a layer of tin with good old pig steel underneath. Not something you want to brew with, as the lining (still most likely poly) will probably rupture at some point and that metal will rust quickly. And that steel underneath is nasty too. Dented canned goods aren't technically supposed to be consumed for this reason.

Also, not all but much of stainless steel is actually non magnetic do to a high percentage of nickel and chrome compared to iron. They are neat containers, and they are doubtless good for something, but I'm not sure if you should ferment in them. They would be handy for specialty malts if you could get the coffee smell out of them.

I was thinking that worst case scenario I could use them for grain. I have 5 of them and could get more every couple weeks. If you pay shipping I will think about it :mug:

Yeah, you would just have to let me know if you would be willing to part with any. Would be willing to give one or two a try! I would appreciate it! Keep in touch, may be able to send you some liquid yeast in a bottle or two also...

Ryan M.

mccumath...

They don't weigh much so shipping shouldn't be much. I can package them up at work. Lets keep in touch for sure.

Been thinking about those giant ice tea kettles with spigot on bottom that restaurants use. If I could come by one of them in a good size it might be worth using for something brew-related (HLT?)

BigTim559 said:
I assumed if the magnet did stick to it (which it did) it wasn't aluminum. What should I look for when I nick one? Are there any coatings that would be safe to use? Is their a cleaning or sanitizing solution that I can put inside to see if would hold up?

Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for your help.

Magnets do not stick to stainless steel either. I think you have a carbon steel container with a coating.

Special Hops said:
Magnets do not stick to stainless steel either. I think you have a carbon steel container with a coating.

Not entirely correct, as a machinist I can tell you that there are several stainless alloys that are magnetic, such as 416.

I wouldn't use it for brewing, but they'd make a good container for storing green coffee for those of us who roast our own.

Kitchen supply place, eh? Any "friends and family" discount?

I wouldn't use it for brewing, but they'd make a good container for storing green coffee for those of us who roast our own.

Kitchen supply place, eh? Any "friends and family" discount?

[ame="http://youtu.be/SCUsPsTE7vo"]http://youtu.be/SCUsPsTE7vo[/ame]

I wish I could trust the coating on the inside. I was thinking it would be fun to fill one of these while I am bottling and let it carbonate and bring it to a party.

Latest posts

Back