Steam Beer Brewing Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubenr3

Reaction score
Brain Trust -- 2 quick questions re: brewing steam beer

1. Teh recipe I have calls for Briess Gold LME. Okay, I can order that from Midwest Brewing Supplies, but my local supplier sells Pale LME. Looks like both are made with 2-row and added carapils -- anyone know if its safe to assume that they're the same thing?
  2. Steam Beer is an ale made with lager yeast. I have White LAbs SF Lager yeast. Should I approach creating a starter as an ale or as a lager? In other words, when you create a starter, do you strategize based on what the beer will be or what the yeast is?

1. I would assume yes, don't pay shipping if you don't have to

2. make a simple ale starter, it wont affect the flavor of the final product

[*]Steam Beer is an ale made with lager yeast. I have White LAbs SF Lager yeast. Should I approach creating a starter as an ale or as a lager? In other words, when you create a starter, do you strategize based on what the beer will be or what the yeast is? [/list]

Both yeastcalc.com and mrmalty.com have hybrid options for their starter calculators. I would use that setting to determine your pitching rate.

Use the freshest, lightest color LME you can get, if you need to, darken it with steeped grains.

When I did my delicious Steam, I used the Wyeast California Common yeast, made a starter.

Steam beer isn't an ale made with lager yeast, that doesn't make any sense. It's a lager fermented at ale temperatures.

Back