Stc-1000+

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good timing on seeing this thread again. I flashed mine about 2+ yrs ago and for the first time it bombed on me with it's alarm. I use set point, don't set for alarm and it went off after about one day- temps were all fine. I couldn't clear it even with unplugging. Lucky I have an extra one, but anyone had this issue? Know how to solve? I was going to research first but saw this thread pop up!

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion, it's solved but still a bit of a mystery!

To check the probe connections I needed slack to open up the box (I built it in to chamber) and found my conical leg was on the probe's wire. Let it loose to check connections, which were fine and plugged back in. No alarm and temp was reading in the thermowell correctly (I double checked, within 0.1f). What was odd was I set the temp to call for cooling and the light didn't come on. Went thru my settings, all was as expected except I found the PB2 was set to 1, or on. I only have one probe! I set to zero and the light for cooling came on.

So, did the conical leg short my probe and cause the alarm? Did my messing around trying to kill the alarm set PB2 on? (Could having probe 2 on and none set up cause an alarm?). Why didn't the STC reset the alarm when I pushed any button as it's mfg directions indicate? Did the re flash change this setting?

All is good that ends well, so we'll see if my Oktoberfest turns out in 5-6 weeks or so. Hopefully no more pilot errors. This is a great project! I love the control!

Hi Guys,
I hope you can assist me. I have flashed a STC-1000 with the fermentation sketch. I have 2 temp probes. I have programmed it as follows:
SP 18 C
HY 0,5
HY2 10 C
TC 0
TC2 0
SA 0
CD 10
HD 2
RP 1
PB2 1

Pr0
SP0 18
DH0 120
SP1 18
DH1 24
SP2 21
DH2 48
SP3 21
DH3 24
SP4 4
DH4 0

It seems like the time between steps is not hours but minutes. I have tested changing SP0 to 10 and if I hold the down arrow in it displays Pr0 then 0 then 1 to 10. After it gets to 10 and I push the down arrow it displays Pr0 then 1 then 0 to what is stored in DH1.
Has anybody had this problem and how can I resolve it?

Thanks
Dave

It seems like the time between steps is not hours but minutes.

Thanks
Dave

Sounds like you flashed it with the “minute” version, instead of the “hour” version. I think there are 4 to 5 versions for diff functionality - logging (comm), hour, min, and one vessel brewing...

Mylo

Hi Mylo,
Thanks, you are correct. I flashed the incorrect sketch. I have flashed the correct one now and it is working great.

Thanks again.

I think this is the correct thread to ask, since it is about the STC-1000.

I am thinking about buying a STC-1000 for a different purpose than what is discussed here. I don't brew beer but I work with chocolate (pralines, bonbons) and I am looking for a way to temper the chocolate I used. Tempering chocolate is an essential step for making smooth, glossy, evenly colored coating for pralines. Tempering prevents the dull grayish color and waxy texture that happens when cocoa fat separates out. Tempered chocolate produces a crisp snap when you bite into it and the final product will get a nice shine on it.

The process of tempering chocolate consist of a few steps:
1. Melt the chocolate to a temperature of 40-50 degrees (depends on type of chocolate that you use)
2. Bring down the temperature of the chocolate to 27 degrees (not all chocolate manufactures advise this step, but the brand I use suggests to do it)
3. Bring the temperature of the chocolate to 31 degrees and keep it there for as long as you work with it.

First I need to know if the STC-1000 can do this. I am ready to apply the firmware that is discussed here https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p or here https://github.com/Emile666/stc1000_stm8 (whichever is better).

In case the STC-1000 can do this, I need to think about what to do to heat the chocolate. I have thought of pumping hot and cold water through a coil around a chocolate container. Another wild idea is to use a hairdryer that can blow both hot and cold air.

Other suggestions are very welcome. Looks like a nice project for the upcoming holidays.

I think this is the correct thread to ask, since it is about the STC-1000.

I am thinking about buying a STC-1000 for a different purpose than what is discussed here. I don't brew beer but I work with chocolate (pralines, bonbons) and I am looking for a way to temper the chocolate I used. Tempering chocolate is an essential step for making smooth, glossy, evenly colored coating for pralines. Tempering prevents the dull grayish color and waxy texture that happens when cocoa fat separates out. Tempered chocolate produces a crisp snap when you bite into it and the final product will get a nice shine on it.

The process of tempering chocolate consist of a few steps:
1. Melt the chocolate to a temperature of 40-50 degrees (depends on type of chocolate that you use)
2. Bring down the temperature of the chocolate to 27 degrees (not all chocolate manufactures advise this step, but the brand I use suggests to do it)
3. Bring the temperature of the chocolate to 31 degrees and keep it there for as long as you work with it.

First I need to know if the STC-1000 can do this. I am ready to apply the firmware that is discussed here https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p or here https://github.com/Emile666/stc1000_stm8 (whichever is better).

In case the STC-1000 can do this, I need to think about what to do to heat the chocolate. I have thought of pumping hot and cold water through a coil around a chocolate container. Another wild idea is to use a hairdryer that can blow both hot and cold air.

Other suggestions are very welcome. Looks like a nice project for the upcoming holidays.

It`s dooable, you could use the fermentation firmware to do this. Wheter it`s choklate or wort - does not matter. I would use a chiller coil to lower the temp between the steps.

I do not know how the volume you work with are - but you can control any current up to 16a with the STC-1000

I`d say a water heater in SS is suitable for your use - together with an immersion chiller.

As an example, you could use something like this:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...tml?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.63.1805d7e6E7SBg

With a Thermwell for sensor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-...hash=item2a83e319ac:m:mlR4JqCTtyhrJYGL1nPOGsA

And this one to controll temp decrease (has to be manually observed)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Sizes-St...hash=item51f72a1247:m:mcnoGs8r9fVGBBR2-VzibKA

Thank you very much! Good to have confirmation that this could work and thank you for the suggestions on items to buy.

The volume of the chocolate I am working with is very small if you compare it with beer brewing. Most of times I work with a 1kg (2 lb) or less.

Thank you very much! Good to have confirmation that this could work and thank you for the suggestions on items to buy.

The volume of the chocolate I am working with is very small if you compare it with beer brewing. Most of times I work with a 1kg (2 lb) or less.

Scale it down, it does not matter actually :) It will work anyway.

Since you are not going for boil temps etc. I recon a inkbird (plug and play unit) would be more than sufficient. (it`s based on the STC-1000)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inkbird-IT...093279&hash=item1a22979af5:g:vL4AAOSwux5YW4CB

ATT: Make sure to choose with right plug.

Hi. Very useful solution. I wonder if i can use this as a engine temperature controller. I would like to have
1. Cooling fan on at 85-90 celcius
2. Alarm on at 125 celcius

Is that possible as i see that stc-1000 is maximum at 110 celcius

Any one has done the same with stc-9200 it is a usefull 3 stage temp control device

thx

Can all stc1000's be modded now? The Ali express guy takes a month and a half for shipping whereas amazon can ship in a couple of days.

Hi Guys,
I am having trouble to programm the STC-1000 using the Emile666s method. I do have the PCB with version "WR-032 v2 2016/4/7". I have connected the ST-LINK V2 programmer to the STC-1000 pins correctly (see the pictures), I even changed the data cables twice. The only thing I get is the "Cannot communicate with the device" error. I tried to program the STC-1000 also via IAR environment, but I can not access the microcontroller either. One thing that could be possibly wrong is, that the uController is of a different type then STM8S003F3. As you can see on the of the pictures there is no label on the chip. How do I know, my STC-1000 is with the STM8S003F3 chip equiped? Do you have any hints, what I could do?

Attachments

• IMG_1295.jpg
    IMG_1295.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 313
  • IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    953.3 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    900.7 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    818.9 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 367
  • IMG_1300.png
    IMG_1300.png
    75.1 KB · Views: 263
Can all stc1000's be modded now? The Ali express guy takes a month and a half for shipping whereas amazon can ship in a couple of days.

They use several different chips that can't all be modded. You have to get the A-400P or STM8 versions or this won't work. There is somebody who started modding another version but I can't find the post in this thread. He said it had far more potential than the A-400P.

U-Control, the same seller that alphaomega listed (quoted above) has other listings for the same unit at lower prices. Both of these are less than $20US with shipping. Shipping from China to the US is always listed as over 30 days but I've gotten most shipments in 2-3 weeks.

STC-1000 Control A-400P Version

110VAC version

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...655.html?spm=2114.12010608.0.0.1979a4bfBpC94F

220VAC version

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/STC...id=217030fa-f7db-4d8f-99c9-09e607a13770&tpp=1

From some of the listings and photos it looks like these will run on either 110v or 220v AC as some are listed as both. Hope this helps.

As it seems, the A-400P version is sold out and U-Control doesn't list the controller chip for the two overpriced STC-1000 types they sell. On the photos, they don't even have model numbers on the stickers. Does anybody else have a reliable Aliexpress seller with known controller chips, or at least has a recent successful experience with flashing a unit of a certain seller?
Aliexpress links to such sellers are highly appreciated. Thanks for your reply!

Yesterday those listings said there were thousands available. I guess it pays to order them immediately and know whether they exist. I was going to order a couple more.

Does anyone here know of a place I can just buy a pre-flashed STC1000+. I've been using the standard version of STC1000 on my ferm chambers for 4 years and now I need another controller for another serving fridge, so i'd like to replace the STC on my ferm chambers with the 1000+ so i can set temp profiles. I'm not sure if anyone is selling these commercially or if any of you are willing to sell and ship on to me in colorado? Thanks!

Does anyone here know of a place I can just buy a pre-flashed STC1000+. I've been using the standard version of STC1000 on my ferm chambers for 4 years and now I need another controller for another serving fridge, so i'd like to replace the STC on my ferm chambers with the 1000+ so i can set temp profiles. I'm not sure if anyone is selling these commercially or if any of you are willing to sell and ship on to me in colorado? Thanks!
Trying to save you money. If you can find a Homebrew club in your area I bet one of the members will know how to flash a unit for you -might just cost you a beer or two. Four year old STC is probably the correct version so you may not need to buy another STC.

Trying to save you money. If you can find a Homebrew club in your area I bet one of the members will know how to flash a unit for you -might just cost you a beer or two. Four year old STC is probably the correct version so you may not need to buy another STC.

I'm very active in a local small club, and this is beyond the skills of our members. I'm perhaps the most technically capable person, but i dont tinker with this kind of stuff. I know of one massive club in the Denver area though, i'll ping the contact for that club and see if that gets me somewhere, thanks.

Hi there and alphaomega,
thanks for this project....I know this is not widly beeing updated anymore, then I still look at the "STC1000 OVBC" part.

My setup is hot plate, pot and inner-pot with holes for eBIAB like system, and hence using a hot plate to heat and a 220v pump.

Question 1, is it "STC1000 OVBS" or the "STC1000pid" I might look at? And will it work?
Question 2, how to see what STC1000 I got, what to look for? Confused on this part!

Hay all , l want to make the ramping of temp from end of mashout to the boil faster . How can I do this ? It takes way too long . Cheers .

Hi all, Hope for som help because it look like I'm not able to solve this by my own.
Started to program my STC with software for fermentor but my STC runs now the ovbc instead. Have now tried with different computers, from the sketch generator and from download files, even old versions. The STC was original stc-1000 A_400P when I started.

Hi all, Hope for som help because it look like I'm not able to solve this by my own.
Started to program my STC with software for fermentor but my STC runs now the ovbc instead. Have now tried with different computers, from the sketch generator and from download files, even old versions. The STC was original stc-1000 A_400P when I started.
Are you selecting the proper STC type?
Select sketch version
STC-1000+
STC-1000+ (minute timebase)
STC-1000+ OVBSC
STC-1000+ RH

STC-1000+ with Celsius yes. Even downloaded ver 1.06 because I think ovbs wasn't created then. Have started to think that ovbc somhowe are stored in my aurdino. Last I used it it was ovbc I programmed with.

STC-1000+ with Celsius yes. Even downloaded ver 1.06 because I think ovbs wasn't created then. Have started to think that ovbc somhowe are stored in my aurdino. Last I used it it was ovbc I programmed with.
Case solved. It was old an program in the Aurdino memory and I was probably tierd so I was using open instead of upload the sketch to Arduino.

Does anyone know of a source for the pcb mounted transformers? I have a flashable unit where the seller sent me the 230vac version instead of the 110. I have tried to search digikey and mouser but apparently my google-fu is not up to the task of finding this thing. The side has this printed on it:

E30-10-150
RY-3010
1-5: 230V 50/60Hz
7-9: 10V 1.5VA
RUNYANG ELECTRIC

I tried popping all that into google and just swapping out for 110 and a few combinations of the parts, but the best I could do was a large item with exposed coils and wires hanging off it.

@stoneBriar : I have a bunch of 110VAC transformers for the STC-1000 (got the wrong ones myself, their fault, I didn't want to wait for sending them back and getting new ones, so they sent 230VAC transformers and I switched them myself). You could have them, but I think shipping from Sweden might not be cost effective.
BUT, I recall this has been discussed before. You have other options. One thing you can do is remove the transistor, bridge the connections and feed the unit ~12V (AC or DC, doesn't matter, still rectified internally) instead of 110VAC from an external power supply (wall wart).
Or if you still want to feed it from mains, as someone else mentioned, you can instead change the relays to 5V ones! They are a lot easier to source. The trick here is that the 230VAC transformer will put out a lower voltage when 110VAC is applied (about half) so instead of an unregulated ~12V power rail you will have ~6V. This is then regulated to 5V for the MCU and stuff. The 6V is still enough for the regulator. But the unregulated rail is used to drive the relays, and the 12V relays won't latch on 6V, but 5V ones will :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have a bunch of 110VAC transformers for the STC-1000 (got the wrong ones myself, their fault, I didn't want to wait for sending them back and getting new ones, so they sent 230VAC transformers and I switched them myself). You could have them, but I think shipping from Sweden might not be cost effective.

I bet the shipping cost would not be great! Just so I can be lazy and not disassemble any of the projects I have, can you post a pic or a part number off those transformers? Maybe I will have more search luck if I was looking specifically for the right transformer instead of using the numbers from the 230 to fake it. Where did you source a stack of loose transformers? Thanks!

@stoneBriar: The printing on them are pretty hard to read, but I attached a photo. From what I can tell they read "BCY-432-3035"
Like I said, I ordered a bunch of 230VAC STC's, but they still sent 110VAC ones. Not wanting to ship back and forth one more time to China, I suggested they just sent me 230VAC transformers and I change them myself. They did, but dogballs it was a pita. In the end, I was left with a bunch of 110VAC transformers that I just haven't gotten around to send to recycling yet.

IMG_20180721_135543.jpg

Back