STC-1000 not cooling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayMac

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, very last step of my keezer build (pics to come!), and I run into a road block. This is very frustrating, as it is literally done when it works and I screw the lid on the project box.

Basically, when I plug in the extension cord (I follow this build: http://www.onemansbeer.com/keezer-build-diy-temperature-controller/) the temperature controller's display is on, and shows the correct temperature. However, When I plug in my freezers power cord into the outlet, the freezer doesn't turn on. I tried plugging the freezers power cord into the wall outlet directly, and it worked.... curious.

I tugged on all of the cords, and they are all tight. All of them seem to be making contact. I didn't snip the tab because I won't be using the "heating" part for anything... I don't think that should be the problem though.

Do you guys have any clue about what the problem is? The way I look at it... if the temperature controller is receiving power, shouldn't the keg fridge?

Sounds like either wiring or a bad controller. Can you plug a small light into the outlet? That will determine whether its the outlet or the freezer.

When you lower the setting on the controller does the cool light come on?

right now the cool light is on (not blinking) and it is not turning on the freezer. Like I said, it can't be the freezer because when I plugged it into the wall outlet, it worked, but not when I plugged it into the temp control unit outlet.

I have the controller set to 2C.

There is a three minute adjustable delay for the cooling circuit. This is there to reduce the amount of cycling of your compressor in your freezer. Once your high setpoint is reached your fridge will not start for three minutes.

If the cool light is on (not blinking) as he says, then it's not the compressor delay. Agree with b-boy that it must be a wiring mistake or a bad controller. You're sure you got the 110v and not the 220v, right? Maybe post a picture so people can look at the wiring?

Crap........ the manual says 220VAC, I thought all of the Ebay adds online were the same... it only states the voltage in the specs and not the title.

Does this mean that it's impossible for it to work with the freezer? Or can I add something to bring the voltage up?

Problem is, my order took over 3 weeks to get to me, and I'm really not ready to wait a month for this to work. I'm going to check out the thread you posted... It's worth taking a look at

I think I'd order a new one too. I'd be a little nervous hacking one of those controllers.

You could get a love controller if you don't mind spending the $$. You could get that overnight.

I ordered mine from Newegg.com Got it in 5 days with the cheap shipping. I am not sure about their shipping to Canada though.

Newegg

There's also some on Amazon available with overnight shipping to the U.S. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I ordered mine from amazon just now. $20 controller and $22 shipping to Canada... What a rip off.

Decided $20 was worth saving 1-2weeks. I have two kegs carving at room temperature, and I just want to drink them already haha.

You can contact amazon customer support... I have had similar issues in the past and they have always made things right.. I dont have the customer support number off hand but you can Google "Amazon Customer Support Phone Number" to find it..

Good Luck

Cheizus, what do you mean exactly? Do you mean with respect to the shipping rate?

I missed the fact that the 220v controller was ordered from Ebay and not amazon... sorry just was thinking you could have hsd them replace it with the correct one...

I ordered mine from Newegg.com Got it in 5 days with the cheap shipping. I am not sure about their shipping to Canada though.

Newegg

Nice - I didn't think you could get these anyplace but ebay.

I always felt like I was getting something off the black market.:D

I feel better ordering them from a more reputable source.

Nice - I didn't think you could get these anyplace but ebay.

I always felt like I was getting something off the black market.:D

I feel better ordering them from a more reputable source.

I was shocked it was NewEgg. I found it on Amazon but noticed it was being shipped from NewEgg. So I cut out the middleman.
Personally I don't shop on EPay. I can generally find stuff I need elsewear for cheaper or at least the same price.

If you have a soldering iron and a 12v transformer plug (check power adapters from old electronics you may have lying around) you can easily fix the problem. Take the cover off and desolder the the transformer from the circuit board and solder in jumper wires where the transformer was. Then clip off the plug on a 12v adapter and hook the wires into the 2 power terminals.

I searched newegg and "stc-1000" only returns the 220V controller.

Amazon looks like the only option for quick delivery.

Also, I might try that out Chris!

Its not as dificult as it sounds i replaced the transformer in mine with a 110v one when i made the same mistake.

So this would be similar to a phone charger?

I'm trying to fully understand the connections before I try anything.

Is it as simple as removing the transformer, snipping of the end of the adapter that attaches to my phone, soldering the newly exposed wires to the same place where the old transformer was?

If that's right, where does the part which normally attaches to the wall outlet attach to?

Many thanks!

could be a 12v adapter for anything. Cell phones dont usualy use a 12v adapter if you have an old cordless phone that might be a good place to start. Look at the output rating on the plug its usualy around the prongs to go into the outlet or on a sticker on the back.

Okay.

So does the plug go into the same outlet as the freezer? I'm referring to after the end that isn't soldered to where th transformer used to be

No plug the 12v adapter into the wall outlet. You would still need to have the 110v plug from the wall to run a hot leg through the relay and a neutral to the outlet for the freezer. The 12v bypass is just to power the board.

No plug the 12v adapter into the wall outlet. You would still need to have the 110v plug from the wall to run a hot leg through the relay and a neutral to the outlet for the freezer. The 12v bypass is just to power the board.

I see. So basically, the only thing this changes is that now I will be having an "external" transformer that plugs into the wall (as well as my extension cord which feeds power to the outlet on the temp control unit). This means two cords coming out of the temperature control box and plugging into the outlet, instead of the normal one, due to needing to power the transformer separately.

please say thats right haha.

Here is a quick diagram i drew up.

stc1000diagram.jpg

^^ diagram looks good, just adding a note, where the dot is on the wires to 7 and 8, obviously don't connect those together, they're just crossing in the drawing.

I attached a picture of how it's currently wired. I have both the hot and cool side connected, incase I need to change anything later.

I think your diagram Chris was showing this wiring for the temperature controller in general. Let me know if you see anything wrong with my current wiring.

In order to fix this 220V problem, I just desolder transformer, cut end of the adapter, solder ends to where the old transformer was, then plug that into the wall, correct?

Sorry if I'm wrong again, but everything should be done right (as long as the DIY page I got the wiring from was also right). The only problem is adding in the new transformer

image-805485062.jpg

I would take all the wires out and re hook them up like my diagram is showing. Hook the neutral from the extension cord only into the outlet, hook the hot wire from the cord to terminal 7 and then put a jumper wire from terminal 8 to the hot side of the outlet. The ground is in the right spot. Then you just need to do the work for the transformer. If you want to use terminal 1 and 2 to connect the wires for the 12v adapter you can take 2 small pieces of wire and jumper between the 2 solder spots on the board.

Thanks for all your help Chris, I got it working and the keezer is finally finished :). I have a white ale carbing as we speak! Can't wait to have it later this week.

When I write my build thread I'm going to include this fix, and I'll make sure to include you in my thanks. Saved me a few weeks and $40!

Thanks everyone for your help

Latest posts

Back