Starting up all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tha_cyko

Reaction score
Looking for a general idea,

I'm going all grain in the future, What would be good to have as a "stock pile"?? Looking to get a couple 50lbs bags of "Basic" grains then maybe 4 or 5 10lb bags "Specialty" grains as a start. Also Getting a few pounds of different Hops (cascade, centennial, goldings, willamette)

thanks
Dave

It depends on what you want to brew. I like most styles so I would want to get 2row and marris otter for base grains. Then I would grab C60, C40, Chocolate malt, carapils, etc.

If you aren't sure what you want, I would look at a bunch of recipes you want to do and try to group a set of them that share a bunch of grains characteristics. if you have a couple outlier specialties no biggie. But at the least save your coin on the base grains and most common specialties.

Pick out a recipe that you would want to try and buy just enough grain to complete the recipe. Give it plenty of time in the fermenter, bottle it and let it condition for twice as long as you think it needs and then sample. Is it good? Do you really want to continue doing all grain? If so, now is the time to buy in quantity. Look at several recipes and see what grains are used in them and then base your buying around that. You can buy other grains to fill in if you decide to go for something different.

or just jump in and spend some $! Whoop whoop... That's how I roll! Not to mention sleeping on the couch for a night!

I bought a sack of 2row and and some different speciality grains in 5lbs...

what do I store these in? I have access to non scented food grade buckets that seal real well... Think that would work?

don't mean to hijack thread but if you buy a bunch of grain you'll need to know how to store it!

sean

Try a couple of beer in a bags first. That only cost about $10.00 more.

Check with your home brew store. My local store gives a big discount if you buy a card for 50 pounds of grain. You pay upfront. You get it as you need it and they take it off the card. I don't need to store it or have a grain mill.

I just get it as I want it.

how do most peopke store there bulk grains? I've seen the petfood containers which is great for large bags, but what about smaller quantities?

Back