Starting Holiday Brew now - question about bottling @ 5-6 months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fionnbharr

Just Some Guy in a Hat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been brewing since November last year, and am preparing for a 5-6 month secondary on a high gravity Belgian Dubbel for December bottling this year to wonderfy the flavors.

I haven't aged anything this long, before.

What's the procedure for adding yeast when priming?
Will I need to add yeast, or will the yeast remaining in the secondary still be active/alive to carbonate the bottles?
If I need to add yeast, how much should I add?
Does it need to be the same strain or will a cheap dry strain add weird flavors?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I really don't know the answer to that, but I'm sure someone will chime in. I would imagine you would need more yeast after 6 months, and strain shouldn't matter, as you'll only use a small amount.

However, I would consider just doing primary for a month and bottle conditioning for 5-6 months. Or if you really want to secondary, just do it for a shorter period, like 1-2 months, then condition in the bottles for the remainder...then you can check the progress once in a while too ;)

However, I would consider just doing primary for a month and bottle conditioning for 5-6 months. Or if you really want to secondary, just do it for a shorter period, like 1-2 months, then condition in the bottles for the remainder...then you can check the progress once in a while too ;)

I second this. If you wait until December to bottle you will still need to bottle condition, unless you force carb. Get it going now with a nice strong fermentation, bottle it and put it away for a few months.

Been brewing since November last year, and am preparing for a 5-6 month secondary on a high gravity Belgian Dubbel for December bottling this year to wonderfy the flavors.

I haven't aged anything this long, before.

What's the procedure for adding yeast when priming?

If you use dry yeast, put 5-10 specs of dry yeast per bottle, fill and cap as normal. If you use liquid yeast, add about 1/4 vial to your bottling bucket prior to bottling.

Will I need to add yeast, or will the yeast remaining in the secondary still be active/alive to carbonate the bottles?

You will need to add yeast if you proceed with your current plan.

If I need to add yeast, how much should I add?

See above.

Does it need to be the same strain or will a cheap dry strain add weird flavors?

It does not need to be the same strain. The original yeast has already done the flavor profile. New yeast won't create any odd flavors. I wouldn't use champagne yeast though, just something simple like US-05.

Having said all that, I'd consider what previous posters have advised. I would primary for 3-4 weeks, add priming sugar to bottling bucket, rack to bottling bucket (ensure priming sugar is mixed) and bottle as normal. Put it someplace ~70F for 3-4 weeks and then chill to ~ 35 degrees until ready to serve.

I had considered bottling in a few weeks and bottle-conditioning for the remaining time. The reason I'm keeping it in secondary is to ensure consistency among the bottles afterward.

You think three weeks bottling time (assuming I bottle the first week of December) isn't enough to carbonate the bottles by Christmas/New Years?

I had considered bottling in a few weeks and bottle-conditioning for the remaining time. The reason I'm keeping it in secondary is to ensure consistency among the bottles afterward.

You think three weeks bottling time (assuming I bottle the first week of December) isn't enough to carbonate the bottles by Christmas/New Years?

A high gravity beer will take much longer than three weeks to fully carbup. I have a Belgian Strong dark ale that has been in the bottles for 8 weeks and just now getting good carbonation. It was very drinkable at 4 but sooooooooo much better now.

I plan n leaving the rest of the batch alone until fall.

I second this. If you wait until December to bottle you will still need to bottle condition, unless you force carb. Get it going now with a nice strong fermentation, bottle it and put it away for a few months.
+2

I do 3 or 4 big beers a year. 1 month in the primary and then straight to bottle with most English yeast. 1-3 month in the primary or 1 in the primary and 1-2 month secondary for the lower flocullating Belgium yeast. Then straight to the bottle with just priming sugar.
The 4 to 6 months bottle condition will give it plenty o' time to carb up and mellow.
I've done 20 -25 batches of the big brews like that without a problem so far.

Some of the others with more experince might chime in.

I was going to secondary my dark ale just long enough for the bourbon soaked oak chips to give it a decent flavor,not too heavy. I'm using 4oz medium toast French oak chips with 5 jiggers of 8 year old bourbon. I thought using more chips & liquor would take less time to impart their flavors. Especially since they've been soaking in the fridge in an airtight container since the the time the wort was chilling till secondary time.

Back