Starting first brew this weekend!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! After many years of enjoying quality craft beer, I've finally decided to do what I have thought about doing for a long time...make my own beer. I have been reading through the forums over the past couple of weeks and have had a pretty good starter kit put together for me and I am going this Friday to get my ingredients. I did have a couple of questions I hope some one can answer.

For the time being, I will be doing extract and have to do partial boils because my fiance (who by the way gave me her full blessing and support for this hobby :rockin: ) and I are saving money for our wedding and have moved into a studio. My first question is when I top off in the fermentor to bring up to 5 gal, is it ok to use the same brew kettle I did the boil in to add the water? If so, will I need to sanitize or is it ok since it already went through a boil?

My tap water has a chlorine level between 0.3 and 0.5 ppm. Is that ok to top off with and not worry about off flavors? Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

In terms of water quality, I go by the notion that if it tastes good it'll make good beer. Others will differ. You could also ask your LHBS or a local brewery/brewpub what they do. I don't boil my top off water either. But if you do, I'd boil it first so that it has a chance to cool before you add it to your wort.

Good luck and have fun!!!:mug:

Walgreens sells 2.5 gallons jugs of water. I always use those. one goes into the kettle and the other one i add to the fermenter after i pour in the wort.

By partial boil do you mean less than 2.5 gallons?

I think it's pretty uncommon to boil your top-off tap-water. If you're worried about your water I would just got to the store and buy some distilled water. I am also new to brewing, I did my first brew all bottled water, and it came out great, so now I am going half and half, if my second brew turns out okay, I'll do my third batch with all tap water.

I also suggest a test boil before brewing, to determine how much water you can boil, and how long it takes to boil. You might want to find an approx knob location for steeping as well, if you go that route.

I'm glad your fiance is signing off on your hobby. Try to get that written down.

The first time she walks into the house/apartment and is greeted by a blast of hot malty-hop stink she may try to back peddle. Mine did!

Welcome and Cheers ::mug::

I'm glad your fiance is signing off on your hobby. Try to get that written down.

The first time she walks into the house/apartment and is greeted by a blast of hot malty-hop stink she may try to back peddle. Mine did!

The same thing happens to my fiance, she leaves the house to go shopping everytime i brew cause the hates the smell of the hops.

Im gonna stick some hops in a grain bag and stick it under her pillow one of these days to subliminally make her like it.

Walgreens sells 2.5 gallons jugs of water. I always use those. one goes into the kettle and the other one i add to the fermenter after i pour in the wort.

By partial boil do you mean less than 2.5 gallons?

I will be doing a 2.5 gal boil. Yeah I was thinking about just getting the water from the store. Might be the easy thing to do.

I am a total hop head and LOVE IPA's. My fiance does not like the smell of one even in the bottle. I guess she has a big surprise for her come Saturday.

My first question is when I top off in the fermentor to bring up to 5 gal, is it ok to use the same brew kettle I did the boil in to add the water? If so, will I need to sanitize or is it ok since it already went through a boil?

My tap water has a chlorine level between 0.3 and 0.5 ppm. Is that ok to top off with and not worry about off flavors? Thanks in advance for the help!!!!
1. It's fine, no need to wash & sanitize (assuming you are filling your water right after dumping the wort into the fermentor), its just touching the same wort that you have in the fermentor
2. I'm not sure what ppm numbers are considered low or hi levels but if your water has an obvious chlorine taste or odour, you can either boil it or add a part of a campden tablet to drive out the chlorine. I've boiled it before but it does take a bit of planning to have it cooled down. My main reason for boiling was because I was under the impression that there could be sanitation issues with using the water straight from the tap but those worries were put to rest in this thread so from now on I plan on just using the water straight from the tap.

2. I'm not sure what ppm numbers are considered low or hi levels but if your water has an obvious chlorine taste or odour, you can either boil it or add a part of a campden tablet to drive out the chlorine. I've boiled it before but it does take a bit of planning to have it cooled down. My main reason for boiling was because I was under the impression that there could be sanitation issues with using the water straight from the tap but those worries were put to rest in this thread so from now on I plan on just using the water straight from the tap.

Chlorine will naturally dissipate out on its own if left out in a bucket for 24 hrs. Chloromines are a different animal and many municipalities use them as a disinfectant. I would check with your water dept. If you don't want to bother them, then either boil it or buy new.

Chlorine will naturally dissipate out on its own if left out in a bucket for 24 hrs. Chloromines are a different animal and many municipalities use them as a disinfectant. I would check with your water dept. If you don't want to bother them, then either boil it or buy new.

Yes, that's another option, I was gonna mention it but I'd be a bit concerned about risk of contamination having your water sitting in a bucket for 24 hrs. Chloramines, if your water has them, can be removed with campden tablet but not by boiling.

Mine actually asked, "can you brew more porter? it smells soooo gooood" and she...doesn't...um, like beer. I know...I know. BUT, it is now my life's goal to learn as much as possible and tweak recipes until I can make one she will not only drink, but enjoy! To myself I say, Good Luck.

Back