Starting Equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidey

Reaction score
Hey Guys.
I'm just about to get started on my very first batch of homebrew. I'm very excited about the whole process (Obviously). I wanted to just run my starting equipment by you guys to see if I'm missing anything. This list does not include the ingredients that I'm going to use, just the hardware. There's also going to be a conspicuous lack of a mash tun b/c I'm just going to start out by extract brewing. I already have a boil kettle and a growler that I don't use anymore that I'm going to re-purpose as a container for my yeast starter. Enough with the preamble, on to the list!

Outdoor propane burner/stand (for boil kettle)
Paint Strainers (home depot/lowes for hop bags)
Plastic Carboy /Fermentation bucket (HDPE)
Container Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW)
Star San Sanitizer
Spray Bottle
Airlock
3 Rubber Bungs with Hole (one for airlock, one for blowoff,one for yeast starter)
Hydrometer
Hydrometer Jar
5ft Vinyl Tubing for blow off
HDPE Bucket for Blow off (large enough to be a sanitation bucket, must be food safe because I'm also going to aerate the wort post bottle and pitch my yeast in it)
Racking Cane with Tubing
Auto Siphon
Digital thermometer
Stirring Paddle
PVC Collar + 4 threaded metal bars for hop bag (DIY from hardware store)
large metal bucket to put boil kettle into in order to chill post boil.
warflcok tablets
Bottle Caps
Bottle Capper

IMHO if you are just starting, you are already making this way more complicated than it needs to be

Looks pretty thorough though your forgot the most important thing, throw a 6 pack of beer in there somewhere to enjoy while you brew, then I think you're good to go...

Welcome :mug:

What's brew is up first for you?

Looks like you got everything. Luck favors the prepared so you should be in good shape. I also agree with the other poster its a MUST to have a few when brewing, it will keep you relaxed and the Beer Gods happy.

Looks like you have done your homework before starting out, that's good to see! The only minor thing I can see is that you will need a large spoon to stir in your extract. I'm assuming you will be using the large metal bucket to do an ice bath when cooling? That would be my only suggestion is to get a wort chiller as soon as possible, they make a huge difference.

I just started a few weeks back and I didn't see anything for cooling the wart. I had trouble getting it to cool in 30 minutes in an ice bath. Recommend eigther a wart chiller (I am making one this weekend). Or 2 days before brew, boil one gallon of water, place in 2 sanatized zip lock bags and freeze. Then you can crush and add it to the wart after the boil and it will be right at about 80F. Don't forget to include this in you total volume.

Bottles? Remember you usually cant carb the beer in a growler, the glass is typically not strong enough for that.

Looks like you have done your homework before starting out, that's good to see! The only minor thing I can see is that you will need a large spoon to stir in your extract. I'm assuming you will be using the large metal bucket to do an ice bath when cooling? That would be my only suggestion is to get a wort chiller as soon as possible, they make a huge difference.

Correct Bryce, I'm going to use the metal bucket to do the ice bath when chilling. I'm going to do the chiller ASAP, but I need to get a stainless boil kettle first since using aluminum boil kettle + copper wort chiller = bad news bears.

As far as the stirring spoon i think that I'll either use one of those large stainless spoons that are used in restaraunts, or ideally if I can find it a large silicone & HDPE stirring spatula/spoon thing.

Bottles? Remember you usually cant carb the beer in a growler, the glass is typically not strong enough for that.

ah, good point, I did forget to put that on the list, but I asked all of my friends to save their cases and just give me the empties, so I've got 3 empty cases in the garage, one of which is a case of 16oz Grolsch pint bottles w/ flip tops (which is going to be nice) Already pre-washed all of the bottle in preparation, when it comes time to bottle i'll do a thorough clean w/ PBW and then star-san them.

I'm going to use the growler as a vessel to hold my yeast starter, should be easy to get a bung to fit it and just use the airlock for both the yeast starter and my fermentation bucket/carboy

ah, good point, I did forget to put that on the list, but I asked all of my friends to save their cases and just give me the empties, so I've got 3 empty cases in the garage, one of which is a case of 16oz Grolsch pint bottles w/ flip tops (which is going to be nice) Already pre-washed all of the bottle in preparation, when it comes time to bottle i'll do a thorough clean w/ PBW and then star-san them.

I'm going to use the growler as a vessel to hold my yeast starter, should be easy to get a bung to fit it and just use the airlock for both the yeast starter and my fermentation bucket/carboy

You don't really need a bung/airlock for the starter. In fact, a lot of people advise against it. You can just loosely cover the top with aluminum foil which keeps the bugs out and allows the CO2 to escape.

FYI, i have an aluminum BK with a wort chiller...perfectly fine for me. as long as you don't drag around the chiller excessively, you won't wear off the protective layer on the aluminum.

i'd make/buy a chiller before i'd make a hop bag...just my .02!

I'm going to do the chiller ASAP, but I need to get a stainless boil kettle first since using aluminum boil kettle + copper wort chiller = bad news bears.

???
Care to explain why this is a bad thing? I do this all the time. :confused:

Yeah...I'm pretty sure there's no issue with using a copper chiller in an aluminum pot. Its not like the two metals are in contact for a period long enough to cause a reaction.

Galvanic Corrosion

It's probably not going to matter as far as home brewing is concerned because it's not going to be in there long enough, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also before you go thinking that I'm some awesome metallurgist, this comes straight from the appendix of Palmer's book. I was just kinda flipping through the index, marveling at how much detail he goes into when I saw this.

your choice, but you could save money on the stainless and make/buy a chiller w/the savings.

I've been an electrician for 24yrs now, and have seen my fair share of cu/al corrosion. I'm fairly certain that it's not going to happen for the 30 minutes that the IC is in the al pot. I'll continue to use my al pot and cu chiller.

I've been an electrician for 24yrs now, and have seen my fair share of cu/al corrosion. I'm fairly certain that it's not going to happen for the 30 minutes that the IC is in the al pot. I'll continue to use my al pot and cu chiller.

Well fair enough then. From the way that he talked about it I thought there was an off chance that it would be a problem, but you clearly have more experience with this stuff than I do

He has a valid point......I just don't feel like it's a big concern for the average home brewer. If the two metals were in contact for long periods, it might be an issue.

He has a valid point......I just don't feel like it's a big concern for the average home brewer. If the two metals were in contact for long periods, it might be an issue.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. As far as my first brew though, I didn't think that it was necessary, especially since I'm probably just going to make my wort chiller myself. I de-railed the thread a little bit w/ my discussion of Galvanic Corrosion, I'm probably going to go to the store tomorrow to buy all of my hardware, does anyone have any other ideas of stuff that I should have for my first extract brew?

your list looks pretty good...should probably pick up a carboy brush if you end up getting a better bottle.

happy brew day

The list looks pretty good. Try and get a big pot if possible. I started with an 8.5 gallon pot, but really needed extra room. I ended up with a 10 gallon to boil in, and use the other one as a hlt. Good luck with the brew.

Outdoor propane burner/stand (for boil kettle)
Paint Strainers (home depot/lowes for hop bags)
Plastic Carboy /Fermentation bucket (HDPE)
Container Powdered Brewery Wash (PBW)
Star San Sanitizer
Spray Bottle
Airlock
3 Rubber Bungs with Hole (one for airlock, one for blowoff,one for yeast starter)
Hydrometer
Hydrometer Jar
5ft Vinyl Tubing for blow off
HDPE Bucket for Blow off (large enough to be a sanitation bucket, must be food safe because I'm also going to aerate the wort post bottle and pitch my yeast in it)
Racking Cane with Tubing
Auto Siphon
Digital thermometer
Stirring Paddle
PVC Collar + 4 threaded metal bars for hop bag (DIY from hardware store)
large metal bucket to put boil kettle into in order to chill post boil.
warflcok tablets
Bottle Caps
Bottle Capper

Here are my thoughts:

1. I don't think you need any rubber bungs unless you get a better bottle or carboy. Don't get a stopper for your starter - use sanitized aluminum foil or sanitized foam stopper. The plastic fermentation bucket doesn't need a stopper...the lid will come pre-drilled and have a rubber grommet and you just insert the airlock into it. And most people don't seal the blowoff container.

2. Auto-siphon includes a racking cane...you'll just need tubing. Make sure the tubing isn't too big. I think people recommend the next size down in tubing so it's super-snug. If you get the same size tubing as the autosiphon, pick up some zip ties or plastic hose clamps.

3. Get a wort chiller. You'll spend almost as much on that large metal bucket and it'll cool way faster. Plus, moving around a hot kettle full of wort and placing it into another bucket seems dangerous.

Personally, I don't use blowoffs. Out of 20 batches, I've had 2 times where I needed one - my first ever batch (wheat) where it fermented way too warm and an Irish Red where I overpitched. Even both those times, some beer came through the airlock, lid got a little messy, etc...nothing crazy.

Back