Starting All Grain with 1 Gallon, which method is best for me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I am planning on doing my first all grain brew soon and to get my feet wet I am going to do a small 1 gallon batch to see how it all works and to make sure it is for me. After reading up a bit on the different methods I am still unsure of which way would be best for me and the equipment I have.

I have a 4 gallon (16 quart) kettle, a 2 gallon (8 quart) kettle, and a 9 gallon (36 quart) kettle. I am assuming my 9 gallon kettle I use for 5 gallon extract batches is useless for 1 gallon testing.

With this equipment do I seem better set up to do BIAB or a different method of mashing?

BIAB has my vote. If I could rewind, that's where I would have been best off starting.

I'd use the two gallon for lower gravity beer and the four gallon for higher gravity brews. I think biab is the way to go. This winter I'm going to start doing one gallon batches on the stove with a three gallon with biab. I currently do 3.5 gallon batches outside with a 7.5 gallon kettle and propane burner. I just don't want to freeze my ass off this winter.

For BIAB essentially just add volume of water wanted at the end (1 gallon) plus boil off, trub loss, and grain absorbtion right? Seems to be the easiest method.

What is best for a batch this small, a 5 gallon paint strainer for the grains?

I do 1 gallon batches. the first was a kit. I learned from that batch, that BIAB is the way to go. My second batch was BIAB and was so much easier. I use a 8 quart kettle. Works fine for me.

For BIAB essentially just add volume of water wanted at the end (1 gallon) plus boil off, trub loss, and grain absorbtion right? Seems to be the easiest method.

Yep that's pretty much it. You might be able to fit in the 2 gal pot but the 4 gal will likely be easier. A 5 gal paint strainer bag will be fine. Might want to just use RO water and follow the primer instructions in the brew science forum until you decide if you're going to carry on with all grain.

Get in touch with wilserbrewer and see about a price for a custom brew bag. I had one made for about 20ish bucks and was definitely worth it. Fits my 13qt kettle nice and snug. It's more cash upfront as opposed to paint bag, but they're sturdy as hell. Also does good double duty as hop strainer bag to try and keep hop sediment out of your fermenter, which is a big plus on small 1 gal batches.

Also- double crush your grains to get more efficiency. You can usually do a full volume mash with no sparge and still get 70-75% efficiency with a fine crush.

Back