starting a new batch...want to mix it up a little

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buraglio

Reaction score
I'm starting a new batch today and I was thinking about mixing it up a little. I'm not ready for all grain yet, but I'd like to experiment with additives a little. Basically, what I'd like to try is making a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter clone. I have no idea if this is feasible with my limited experience and knowledge, but I'm willing to give it a whirl.
I have a "Brewers Best" (what I have been using thus far until I go to grain) Porter kit (steeped grain with a malt extract) and was hoping to maybe throw a Vanilla bean or some good Vanilla extract into it to add the slight hint of vanilla.
Is this advisable? Am I thinking about this all wrong? Should I throw the vanilla in at secondary or during the boil? I historically don't go to secondary but I'd like to start doing it more; I have the space and carboys to do so.
So many questions. I may just experiment and see what happens, I find I learn best that way. =)

Any advice welcome!

Thanks!

nb

I'd toss in a 1/2 ounce of real extract in thte last 5 minutes of goil.

IF you want to get it a bit richer in flavor, you could also toss in 1/2 pound of quick oats (yes...just like the cerial).

It's a common additive to stouts and porters to give more mouth feel and a 1/2 pound will probably yeild another 1/4% ABV.

I've added a full pound before with great results.

BierMuncher said:

IF you want to get it a bit richer in flavor, you could also toss in 1/2 pound of quick oats (yes...just like the cerial).

It's a common additive to stouts and porters to give more mouth feel and a 1/2 pound will probably yeild another 1/4% ABV.

Agree on the extract. You can also add some more at bottling/kegging to taste. I added 1 tablespoon to the boil and 1 at kegging on my Pumpkin beer. You can barely taste it but it is there. You will probably need more in a porter so the amount BM suggested sounds good.

BierMuncher said:

Excellent. I added the oats and will be adding the vanilla in 45 minutes.

Thanks!

Back